Topic

Spider + Titan + Windscreen: Height and Storage Issues

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Tyler H BPL Member
PostedMay 10, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Hey ultralight tinkerers,

I know there are an infinite number of threads dedicated to windscreens, and MYOG windscreens even, but this is unique enough that I think it warrants a thread and general enough that other folks might benefit from the discussion.

So, here's the deal. I have a Kovea Spider that I typically use with a MSR Titan Kettle. I am trying to make a windscreen for it (because it struggles, of course, without it). The issue is that the most logical way to store the windscreen is inside the pot, rolled loosely around the inside, but a windscreen short enough to fit easily in the pot isn't tall enough to be a good windscreen. See:

titanwithwindscreen
windscreenheight

Any ideas out there as to how I can store a windscreen large enough to be effective with the Spider in such a way that it's not tearing a hole through something inside my pack?

My other thought is to roll it tightly, cigarette style, and then lay it sideways inside the pot, but it seems like this will really reduce the life of the windscreen, and rolling it up and then back out is kind of a hassle.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedMay 10, 2015 at 9:04 pm

I don't know if you can make this practical, but you might try two strips of foil instead of one, and stack one vertically above the other one. There are all sorts of ways to make one stand on the edge of the other.

–B.G.–

Tyler H BPL Member
PostedMay 10, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Bob,

I did mess around with that a bit, because it seems like having to separate pieces would be more durable than 1 folded in half, but I couldn't figure out any way to quickly/easily detach and reattach the two pieces. Anything besides opposite folds that I should try?

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedMay 10, 2015 at 11:37 pm

If you have about four short splits in the top edge of the bottom piece and another four in the bottom edge of the top piece, then you should be able to line those up so that the top one stands on the bottom one.

–B.G.–

PostedMay 11, 2015 at 3:18 pm

What Bob said is exactly how I do my titanium windscreen. I just cut a few short slits in the same locations on both pieces so that they can lock into each other when stacked.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedMay 11, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I hinge two shallow strips together at half-height. Fold down and roll just enough to fit inside pot. Unfold and erect around pot. You need to use heat-proof tape though!

Another trick I have used is to use such a limited-height windscreen and to prop it up an inch or two on some stones. Sure, the wind blows under the bottom edge, but the flames are still shielded.

cheers

PostedMay 11, 2015 at 8:20 pm

The foil that MSR uses for their windscreens is tough enough so that you can fold it up and then bend the whole thing to fit the curve of the inside of the pot – thus height of the windscreen can be taller than the pot. Have been doing it for years, eventually the foil will crack but it takes a long time.

Tyler H BPL Member
PostedMay 11, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Thanks guys those are all good thoughts.

– Slits would work I'll give it a try, seems just a bit fiddly.

– Haven't actually test the lifespan of folding and unfolding, probably not that big of a deal because aluminum is cheap. I'm using oven pan aluminum not MSR, the MSR stuff does seem to be a slightly heavier gauge.

– I also thought about propping with stones, I think the space at the bottom could actually help in low wind conditions, also fiddly.

I'll try some of these as I have time and maybe even report back!

Adroit BPL Member
PostedMay 12, 2015 at 8:47 am

I have an easy solution. The vertical pot support legs on the Spider are angled inward slightly.

Take a (rigid) piece of aluminum flashing or titanium foil and cut the height to fit inside your pot. Make your round windscreen diameter just big enough to fit over the outside of the pot support legs on top, but small enough to not fall to the ground. The windscreen will stay suspended above the ground.

Adjust the diameter to get the height you need to protect the burner head from wind.

Then take your current wind screen, that already fits inside your pot, and open it up and place it on the ground, an inch or two away from the other windscreen, on the windward side. You can then adjust the spacing to account for the amount of wind and nessessary airflow for proper combustion.

Once you know the correct diameter of the upper windscreen, use whatever method you like to connect the ends together, ie…paper clips, folds, slits, rivets, snaps, etc.

Both pieces will fit inside the pot against the outer wall, taking up minimum space. Once the upper windscreen diameter is figured out, the fiddle factor is very small.

Your Titan Kettle should fit that diameter nicely.

.Spiderws highws low

Tyler H BPL Member
PostedMay 12, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Dean, that's a very clever idea. I tried it with my oven pan foil and it seems like it would work really well even without clips, as long as the pot diameter is smaller than the stove legs.

Trippy photos, by the way.

PostedMay 22, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Here is a free idea for you. For it to work, you will need to bend the legs of the Kovea Spider out until they are vertical. Here is the pattern.

Kovea Titan Pattern

The resolution didn't transfer well, but I have included a reference line that is 24" long. The windscreen material will need to be flexible in order to load the windscreen over the legs. 0.005" titanium works well. The legs hold the windscreen in place, I am using this design for smaller diameter mugs.

BTW, the funny tabs help keep the handles cool as well as center the mug

Trek 700

top view

Have fun

Added a better picture of the pattern

Snow Leopard Sr. Kovea Pattern

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...