Topic

Princeton Tec EOS or Petzl TacTikka – for 3 season AND some winter use

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Princeton Tec EOS or Petzl TacTikka – for 3 season AND some winter use

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I've posted a question and followed a thread related to this before, but was a bit confused when I read a comment by a guide at a ski area out West saying how much he liked and used his TacTikka (in winter conditions).

Now I have a Petzl Tikka and TacTikka – and they have been very reliable and a pleasure to use 3 season. However, Petzl says that Lithium batteries should not be used with these headlamps. The Princeton Tec EOS can use Lithium batteries, and Lithium batteries are superior for cold weather use. Since both the TacTikka and EOS do not have remote battery packs, wouldn't the EOS perform better in winter conditions?

I'd sincerely appreciate your comments – I want to make sure my wife and I have reliable LED headlamps for winter use this winter (good enough for trail navigation).

Can anyone comment on the EOS for winter use and can anyone suggest other good relatively light LED winter headlamps good enough for general trail navigation?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Take a look at the "flashlight review" site for a review on both headlamps.

Personally I prefer PT headlamps over Petzl for PT's very good design, which includes good regulation circuits and heat sinks for them. The Eos was very highly rated by the "flashlightreview" site. If I need a higher power headlamp for winter than my PT Quad the EOS is my 1st choice.

I just hope PT soon begins replacing LUXEON high output LED bulbs with the new CREE bulbs.

Eric

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Eric,

I have read the same about the Princeton Tec lamps, but I have had very good experience with the Tikka 3 seasons for 2 years. Have you used your EOS in winter conditions? How has it performed, given that it does not have a remote battery pack that can be kept warm next to your body?

What do the CREE bulbs offer in terms of benefit?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have used the EOS + lithium batteries. Regulation on the EOS is ok… good enough to use the lithium, but the light level drops off more quickly than flashlight with high quality regulation like those made by fenix. Performance of the EOS with lithium was pretty much the same as during the summer. The EOS is good for navigation. A bit bright / focused around the camp… might want to make a difuser which can be put on it.

Cree bulb provide approx 2x the light for the same power compared to the leds from luxeon which was used in almost all superbright lights. I haven't been following flashlight technology really closely. I think luxeon release the rebel line this year which is close to the cree in terms of light / power.

I have written a bit more in my recommended lighting page

–mark

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

I have used my EOS in winter in the Catskills and Adirondacks- primarly for setting up camp and camp chores as I usually do not hike when the sun goes down. It is much brighter than my Tikka. My friend and I walked back from an ice climb last winter by headlamp and he commented that my EOS seemed brighter than his new MYO XP.

I have always used Lithium batteries and never noticed a problem with life or ouput… but I have not directly compared the lamp to belt models either, mostly because I have yet to see a need to take my heavy MYO Belt lamp.

The button is easy to use with gloves on.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Found this EOS tactical – might be able to obtain a diffuser from EOS that fits where the colored sliding lens goes:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/EOS_Tactical.php

Are there any headlamps similar to the EOS which use the CREE LED?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

My wife and I have both the Princeton Tec EOS and Petzl Tikka XP. I like both lamps although they are different. The EOS has the advantage in winter with the lithium option and would really become important if you intend to use it for extended trail work at night. Around camp, the XP with a larger, more diffused light pattern has the advantage. The XP has a built in diffuser that can be slid over the lense. There is a homemade diffuser for the EOS at Jim Wood's site (address below). I keep saying I'm going to do this but haven't gotten around to it yet.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Diffuser/index.html

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Jim's diffuser is brilliant. I love simple inexpensive fixes like Jim's (there are plenty of other gems on his site, such as his velcro and clothes pins stand for cannister stoves). But if you want to have your diffuser integrated inside the headlamp body, I'm 99% sure you could cut the middle of the blue sliding lens (or any other color lens that come with it that you don't think you need) and replace it with some clear duct tape or other clear diffusing material. I'm going to call and check on these: http://www.brightguy.com/products/EOS_Tactical.php

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

So far as I know, no one makes a headlamp using one of the new Cree LED bulbs. I think it will happen soon though. Luxeon has a new bulb, called the Rebel, which is in the same league as the Cree. Fenix has two versions of each light, one using a Cree and one using the Rebel (http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl0d.htm for example). Fenix is rumored to be creating a headlamp and I think the other headlamp companies will soon upgrade their bulbs (especially since many use Luxeon bulbs, so they will probably just continue that relationship). If you can wait, it probably is a good idea. I couldn't, unfortunately, as my old headlamp broke, so I just bought the L0D flashlight with the Rebel bulb.

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

Don't know if you have seen this earlier thread

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/8193/index.html?skip_to_post=58994#58994

I did the surgery and it works pretty well.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Jason, does it work better? What do you mean by "pretty well?" Does it use the same or less battery power? Is the color better? How much stronger is the beam?

How much did the modification cost you?

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

The beam is definitely brighter; it’s close enough to the brightness of my 3 watt led headlamp, while being much lighter, that I am giving the 3 watt to a friend. The new reflector in the conversion also helps the beam spread. It’s now much more gradual across the beam, not just one small bright spot. I think the battery life is somewhat shorter, but I have not timed it.

The upgrade was around $10 per headlamp, plus shipping and handling.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Jason,

Which reflector did you use? I ordered the new LED but I'm unsure about which reflector is the one to get and where to buy it from.

Thanks for your help!
    Doug

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Good question Doug. I definitely want to do this mod or pay someone to do it for me to save time. It makes going with the EOS even more compelling.

Is there a source that sells all these components together in a kit? And is there someone you know that I might be able to pay to mod 2 EOS headlamps for me?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Doug – there is a detailed thread that lists several suppliers for the reflector and bulbs on the PT EOS mod thread on http://www.candlepowerforums.com . Keep in mind that the high power Seoul bulb (spelling?) comes in different tints – even different flavors of white. I got a detailed description from an experienced modder of the lamps in my PM box on the forum (I registered yesterday), but can't get to it because their server is down now.

I've decided to mod a Princeton Tec EOS Tactical and plan to use it as our main headlamp. The Tactical version will give us a colored lens to slide over the white light (to preserve night vision) and the mod will provide 3-4x the amount of light with better flood, which will allow us to use the EOS at a lower power setting for more hours and still get very bright light and the extra flood will allow us to use the EOS around camp. If we still feel we need a diffuser, we'll make one from clear duct tape or try to get one for the Tactical from PT.

The mod easily makes it bright enough to be very useful for night biking and skiing.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Just to let you guys know, Fenix is commming out with a Cree Headlamp around the first of the year.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Aaron – do you know anything about its properties – weight, power, battery life, cost, etc.?

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Very cool EJ- that sounds like a cool deal.

I just bought a custom reflector for a Mag flashlight that should fit (according to Candlepower forums) and Seoul bulbs from two different places. Neither had different options of colors, etc so I'll have to see on that.

When you have yours done, post the pics and I'll do eht same.

Where did you order your reflector?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Aaron – according to this forum thread on the Fenix headlamp (see the last page), Fenix denied that they are. Did you hear something else from another reputable source?
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143397

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Doug – this is the info you were looking for, just posted by the guy who started the PT EOS mod thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2209469&postcount=159

From the author: "I plan to update the original post when I get some time since the Fenix reflectors(Which worked GREAT) are no longer available. Other people have used some reflectors that I think do a less than perfect job of focusing the LED and have not gotten the same results as I have with the Fenix reflector.

I think the PhotonFanatic khatod non-stippled reflectors with a rubber band or double sided tape between them and the optic holder are the next best choice but have not tried this personally. I do have one laying around and when I pick up another EOS to mod(since there are STILL no Cree/seoul headlamps available (except the ZL which is all flood)) I will try this out and update the original thread..

These reflectors are available from PhotonFanatic at:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho…d.php?t=154195
    The one you are looking for is the 17 mm Reflector (plastic) — KCLP17CR

As someone else posted here is the reflector mounted in the optics holder in this case using a rubber band as a spacer:"

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Found someone who also did a remote battery pack mod for the EOS which lets you use 3-4 AAs depending on the type of batteries for winter use, with total weight les than Apex headlamp yet light output higher. Pics are in the same thread. If this can be done totally waterproof in a rainstorm, I'll consider doing for our EOS. The mod lets you use it with the integral batteries in summer and the remote battery pack in winter.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Right on! Thanks EJ!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I just saw something on CP forums that said they were stait from one of the Fenix reps.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Hi Aaron,
    What's the link? I saw the same thread last week, and posters said they had called Fenix and got a flat "no" from the Fenix reps.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

In the meantime, I'm modding an EOS with a Seoul P4 – it will be monster bright and offer the same great battery life. It's a very easy to do modification that is relatively inexpensive and makes the EOS the brightest, lightest regulated long battery life headlamp you can get now.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools