Topic

ISPO 2015: Part 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable ISPO 2015: Part 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

ISPO 2015: Part 2

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks so much. Enjoyable read.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

matthew,
    good thing you did not ask the weight of that kovea Alpine thingo.
    According to the Kovea site it's 77 kg (170 lbs)
    Apparently it only takes 30g of fuel.

Another source quotes Kovea aiming for 90g and another one again that it takes 100g.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

In that case Franco, I will carry the fuel if you carry the stove! :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Thanks Matthew

Kovea Alpine
    We may have to wait for more hard details, but a few comments in the meantime.
    * I really question the value of the thing if all you can put in it is 30 g of gas. Oh well.
    * More to the point is whether Kovea will be able to persuade the various Gas Authorities to let the general public play around with refilling. Could be difficult.

Optimus Polaris
    Well, that must be the 3rd or 4th 'dual fuel' gas and white gas stove to hit the market now. Nothing new there. In fact, getting very old.
    Does the growing number of 'dual fuel' stoves reflect a slow change within various stove companies, as the older white-gas-loving dinosaur executives slowly retire? White gas stoves are so very expensive to make compared to canister stoves.

Paramo poncho
    Yeah, could be interesting.

Baladeo MYOG knife
    I wonder how much they save in labour costs by letting the customer do all the assembly? Heretical thought.

Primus Winter Gas
    Yeah, well, we have been there and discussed that quite thoroughly. Makes you wonder about some of the judges and reviewers at Outdoor though. Perhaps they drank the Kool-Aid without actually using a canister?

Cheers

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Looking at roughly how complex the construction is (not very), and compared to individually packaging each component into the DIY box, I would say very little. An experienced production line will slap one of them together in under a minute I'd say.

What's the pay rate for unskilled factory labour in China?

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

I am fond of most things about Paramo waterproofs, except the weight. Still, they are my favourites for long winter ski trips. I found news of the new mesh pump liner interesting. However, information about it seems hard to find so far.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Roger, The Kovea Alpine might be interesting if they can supply a refueling attachment that will fit it for propane.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi James

> a refueling attachment that will fit it for propane.
    Ooh yes!
    But I have some reservations about whether they might do that. You might have to MYOG.

Cheers

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, a lot would depend on the construction of the pressure vessel. The actual refueling should be rather straightforward as long as there is a limiter to prevent overfilling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools