Topic

Lake Superior Costal Trail Adventure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lake Superior Costal Trail Adventure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Lake Superior Costal Trail Adventure

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Proofreading before Bob sees this would be best. lol.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Who cares about the proofreading! Great trip report. I'm from Minnesota and this trail was on my bucket list. Now it's a must do. Thanks.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Leanne……Your adventure brings back many fond memories of the wife and I with four of our granddaughters hiking eleven days on Isle Royal two years ago as a culminating event to the many adventures we previously had done during their early adolescent years. Thanks for sharing and a super job!

Your quote at the end of your trail reports sums up the adventure and I bet for many other who "follow the path":

“The trails are my church; nature is my religion. Here, I remember who I am. Here, I remember who you are.” Live, love, get outside!

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Ken, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks! We are blessed with many beautiful trails in northern Ontario, can't wait to get back on them, come on summer! Lake Superior was particularly stunning in its beauty. A trip to remember always, much like the ones you mention in your comment I'm sure!

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

David, thanks! You won't regret it if you get the chance to do it, it is amazing.Happy trails!!!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Very nice trip report, I have been to the area in winter but not any other time of year.

I live in Mid Michigan so this would be about 6.5 hour drive for me, must go back.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Definately a superior trip report! A far cry from where I normally hike but some stunning photos. Thanks for sharing.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice writeup. Thanks!

Spencer Lindenberg
    BPL Member

@lindenberg44

First of all – great trip report! You guys snapped some amazing pics!

I've spent quite a bit of time at LSPP over the last several years (in fact I was just there for a quick overnight the weekend before last) and have done different sections of the Coastal Trail but not the trail in its entirety. However, I'm planning to check the entire trail off my list this summer or fall. What were your favorite campsites?

Spencer

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Stephen,thanks! 6.5 hours is nothing lol! You must go back in the summer!!!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I must indeed Leanne, My next big trip will be back home to Ireland
    but hopefully will go after that.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Leanne, thanks for sharing such great pictures of words from a little part of the world that oft goes unnoticed. Exploring the "other side" of the Big Lake has been on my bucket list for a long time and I hope someday to tick it off.

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Thanks HKNewman! I'm glad you liked the photos, we're happy to share the beauty of Canada!!!

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Thanks Dan!

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Sam, We're happy to share the beauty of Canada! I hope you can "cross the lake" soon!

Veronique Dault
    BPL Member

@verndo

Love, love, love this trail but cringe at the thought of it becoming too popular! Part of its charm is its remoteness and lack of other humans…

Pure gorgeousness. It was a poorly planned adventure when I first visited (no matches, but plenty of wine, no hiking shoes but vibram fivefingers (can you say bloody feet?). No thru-hiking experience but started to hike in the middle of the night. No concept of hiking speed, so had to cut through to the highway 3/4 of the way through, to get back to my car and to drive back to work. No alarm, so kept sleeping in until 11 a.m. (thank god for late sunsets!)

But, WORTH IT. AMAZING. Loads of fun. And a must re-do (just don't tell anyone).

;) Great trip report.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

A really nice description of your journey. Thanks!

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Veronique, you sound a wee bit like Cheryl Strayed there in your hiking of the Lake Superior Trail Lol!!! I totally agree with your thought about it becoming too crowded. I guess that's the danger of making our trails more widely known. We can only hope that the people in charge will gauge the number of hikers and that hikers will always respect the remoteness and beauty. I hope you can get back for a proper hike someday!! :)

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Thanks Spencer! The campsites are all first come first served so there are no reservations. You just have to get back on the trail early if you want to be the first one to a certain site. Some of the sites can accomodate two parties. We didn't really have a favourite, they are all very good with amazing views, you can't really find a bad one! The more popular ones are the ones on the sandy beaches. It truly feels almost like a caribeaan resort on those beaches! Hope you can get the whole trail in this year, it's an awesome trek.

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Must be some incredibly beautiful trails in Ireland!! Jealous! :)

Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Thanks James! :)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Leanne,

When I am back in Ireland I stay away from the Trails and head to the mountains.

Veronique Dault
    BPL Member

@verndo

Had to google Cheryl Strayed… but now I'm excited to read her! :D

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Leanne,
    Nicely done! Glad to see Ontario parks/trails getting some street cred!

I did the Coastal Trail back in April 2009 – it was stunning. I've basically backpacked every trail in Ontario, and it looks like you are on the same track. What is next on the list for you guys?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools