Topic

what would a 10 # base weight look for a winter trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking what would a 10 # base weight look for a winter trip?

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Andreas K
    BPL Member

@andreas

Another option for this style of tent is the Djedi Dome from Locus gear (LINK). I haven’t used it, seen it or read barely any reviews, but on paper it looks impressive… Slightly larger than Firstlight, quite a bit lighter (27.5oz) and made from breathable cuben. Expensive though! Any thoughts on how such a fabric would hold up compared to more conventional choices? Or whether the breathability would be noticeable/useful in real life?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Wow- that’s a nice looking tent!  is my conversion correct?  $1200?

I’d love to shave a little over a pound on my shelter, but couldn’t do it at that price

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Over $2300- Australian after taxes and charges. That’s a return airfare to the USA from here

I don’t need to shave a kilo that badly

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

yeah it’s not even a kilo for me, a little over a pound for me

Id consider it at $500-600, double that it’s not even a dream

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

BTW,

Last week I did a winter camp and with a heavy 7 1/2 lb. Dana Terraplane pack and a 2 person TT Scarp 2 tent (I was testing its snow load capability with 2 optional crossing poles) 2 liters of water and an MSR Whisperlite Universal stove in gas mode (1 pint of gas) my pack weight was 38 lbs.

I had an LL Bean -20 F. down bag and a light REI 3 season FLASH Insulated air mattress. Also a relatively heavy Eddie Bauer PEAK XV down parka for camp use.

So not an UL load but my average winter gear plus that 2 person tent and 2 X-ing poles. The 2 L. of water was B/C I needed some for starting snow to melt in my 1 L. pot.

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools