Episode 83 | Shelter Condensation
In today’s episode of the Backpacking Light podcast we’re going to talk about managing condensation in shelters.
In this Episode:
What’s New at Backpacking Light?
- Upcoming Live Event – BPL Basecamp
- June 4, 2023 Email Newsletter
- From our Newsletter – Visiting the Wilderness of Banff National Park: Achieving Touristic Well-Being by “Disconnecting” from Everyday Life and “Connecting” to Nature
- Sign up for the Newsletter
- Become a Backpacking Light Member
- Introduction to condensation – is it really an issue, or is it overblow?
- Predicting vapor pressure differential
- Climate factors that increase condensation accumulation – high humidity, low temperature, and weather conditions (especially wind)
- Personal factors – your breath, and wet clothes and gear
- Tent design – pros and cons to single wall versus double wall shelters
- Campsite Selection – wind exposure, proximity to water, elevation, and terrain considerations
- Techniques to minimize condensation – ventilation techniques for your shelter, shelter management, sleep system management, and clothing management
- Managing unavoidable condensation – cold weather camping, and camping in rainy and humid conditions
What temperature and humidity range do you decide to layer quilts vs just bringing a winter bag?
– JP Balisteri, via Instagram
What do you recommend to do for a pyramid shelter in pouring rain most of the night?
– Natenelson84, via Instagram
Submit a Tip, Trick, or Question
Share your tips, tricks, and questions on the podcast – submit it via email to [email protected].
- Slingfin NFT (Tarp)
- ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp
- Locus Gear Khufu DCF-B
- Tarptent Dipole 1 Li & Tarptent Dipole 1 DW
Links and Mentions:
- WEBINAR: Your Tent, Your Campsite, Your Comfort Webinar
- VIDEO / GEAR TESTING & RESEARCH: Using Vapor Pressure Differential to Predict Condensation in Tents
- COURSE: BPL Basecamp