Topic

Episode 83 | Shelter Condensation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Episode 83 | Shelter Condensation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to: Episode 83 | Shelter Condesation

In episode 83 of the Backpacking Light podcast we’re going to talk about managing condensation in shelters.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

What are your strategies for managing condensation in shelters?

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

Pitch high if weather allows. Rain or snow back side to wind low, door side high. Umbrella can b handy  wind rain blocker. Hexamid pocket tarp user. Have had issues w splash bivy sacks and condensation. Not a fan . East coast mostly.
    thanks thom

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Use a double wall.

In some situations there simply will be condensation. Happily I try to hike in good weather so this isn’t a big deal. I dry out the tent in sun in the morning before taking off. If it’s still damp when I want to start hiking, it will dry out after set up in the afternoon.

All the tricks about increasing ventilation have their limits if one wants to be in a tent at night. I do what I can and then live with a bit of condensation. Again, in a double wall, this isn’t much of an issue where I hike on the west coast (sierra mostly).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools