I truly enjoy the challenge of lightweight backpacking and the beautiful experience that comes along with it. This passion of mine involves a lot of numbers. I have a digital scale that gets a workout as I prepare for a trip. Anything that goes into the pack is weight, including food. I've taken a razor blade to my backpack, and trimmed away every little bit of excess that is not absolutely essential. I put the same diligence into my food prep.
Looking at your food and planning how much to carry on an expedition is a real-deal skill, just like pitching the tarp for a windy night.
- Where and How to Start?
- How Much Food is Needed per Day?
- BPL Wilderness Trekking School
- Planning for a Hypothetical Trip
- Food Weights and Glossary
- What are Snacks?
- Plan the Number of Days
- Find the Weight of the Meals
- How Many Calories?
- How Much to Take Per Day?
- Don't Take 1.4 PPPPD in January in the Great Basin Divide!
- The Needs of Your Body Will Change Over a Long Trip
- This Stuff Adds Up Over an Extended Trip
- Calories in Some Foods
- How Much of Each Food Type?
- But What if You Run Out of Food?
- Why PPPPD as an Alternative to Exacting Calorie Computations?
# WORDS: 4220