The Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody is one of the best lightweight synthetic insulated jackets on the market today.
If you want a full-length zipper, two zippered handwarmer pockets, and interior stash pockets, this jacket is worth considering for stationary and low exertion applications. Weighing only 9.3 oz (264g) in men's medium, this is the lightest synthetic insulated jacket we have tested. Thanks to its small compressed size and an integrated stuff sack that clips to a climbing harness, the Micro Puff is our highest rated windproof synthetic insulated jacket for alpine rock climbing.
Though it can take up to six weeks to arrive at your house, we also recommend considering the Nunatak Skaha Apex, which has a higher warmth to weight ratio and is custom-made with your choice of fabric, insulation, and is built to precisely fit your body.
Features & Specifications
- 9.3 oz (264 g) in men’s medium
- 65 g/m PlumaFill continuous filament insulation
- 0.8 oz/yd 10-denier Pertex Quantum GL fabric
We tested this jacket as part of our Synthetic Insulated Jacket State of the Market Report (to be published on March 25, 2018), which compared fifteen of the best jackets over two years of hiking, climbing, mountaineering, packrafting, backcountry skiing, and ski mountaineering. Our testing sought to answer the following questions:
- What’s the best all-purpose synthetic insulated jacket?
- What’s the best lightweight windproof synthetic insulated jacket?
- What’s the best active insulation jacket?
- What’s the best synthetic insulated parka?