The Montane Spitfire One is a toasty-warm synthetic insulated winter parka that only costs $300. We don't know of any other high-performance synthetic insulated jacket that provides this much warmth per dollar.
We tested the Montane Spitfire One in 2015 and 2016. Montane has since updated the jacket and simplified the name to Spitfire. We found that the old version was too heavy (31.4 oz. or 890g) for activities where saving weight is a priority. Since the fabrics were far more durable than the insulation--Primaloft Gold is one of the most fragile insulations available--the Spitfire could be a good choice for people who work in the wet outdoors, need highly durable fabrics, and rarely stuff the parka into backpacks.
Though the new version of the Spitfire uses different fabrics and has one less chest pocket, it is only half an ounce (17 g) lighter than the version we tested. It weighs almost two pounds, which is as much as a 10-degree Fahrenheit down sleeping bag.
Features & Specifications
- Large expedition cut fits over lots of layer and a harness full of climbing gear
- Chest pocket, two interior drop-in pockets, and two handwarmer pockets
- Two-way full-length zipper
Member's Only Content
- Performance Assessment
- Weather Resistance
- Strengths & Limitations
Word Count: 1,068
A comprehensive Synthetic Insulated Jacket State of the Market Report will be released on March 25, 2018. When that report is published, we’ll update this review with a comparison summary of this product with other notable products in the review.
This review is part of a comprehensive State of the Market survey of synthetic insulated jackets that has been ongoing for the past two years. Included in this survey:
- Arc'teryx Kappa Hoody Review
- Patagonia Nano Air Hoody Review
- Outdoor Research Uberlayer Review
- Rab Xenon X Review
- Montbell Thermawrap Guide Review
- Rab Nimbus Review
- Patagonia Nano Air Light Review
- LLBean Primaloft Packaway Review
- Arc'teryx Proton LT Review
- Black Diamond Heat Treat Hoody Review
- Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody Review
- Arc'teryx Nuclei FL Jacket Review
- Nunatak Skaha Apex Review
- Montane Spitfire Parka Review
- Arc'teryx Nuclei AR Parka Review
- Patagonia DAS Parka Review (TBA March 25)
- Synthetic Insulated Jackets State of the Market Report (TBA March 25)
The manufacturer provided a sample of this product to the author with no agreement, requirement, or obligation for media coverage of any kind. Thinking about buying this gear? You can support Backpacking Light in the process: if you click on the link to this product and make a purchase at the retailer website, the retailer will contribute a portion of the sale to help support Backpacking Light. It doesn’t increase your cost, and it helps us maintain our site, fund content development, and grow member services! Thanks!