The LLBean Primaloft Packaway Hooded jacket is one of the best value lightweight synthetic insulated jackets we've tested. It retails for $179 and is commonly on sale for $149, which is half the price of other similar jackets. The insulation used in this jacket is not as durable and does not manage moisture as well as continuous filament insulations. The jacket's fabrics are not state-of-the-art. Its fit and features are not perfect. Overall, however, it performed well in our tests and is a good value.
Though we haven't tested it, our research suggests the custom-made $175 Enlightened Equipment Torrid offers higher performance than the Primaloft Packaway.
Features & Specifications
- 12.3 oz (239 g) in men's medium
- 1.8 oz/yd (60 g/m) Primaloft Gold insulation is not as durable as continuous filament insulations
- Two handwarmer pockets and one chest pocket
- Handwarmer pocket converts to a zippered stuff sack
Description of Field Testing
We tested this jacket for several hiking and climbing day trips, and several weeks of use around town. Compared to jackets we exhaustively tested on several expeditions, we have a lower confidence in some of our conclusions. Nonetheless, we think you'll find this to be the most accurate available review of the LLBean Primaloft Packaway jacket.
Member's Only Content
- Performance Assessment
- Weather Resistance
- Strengths & Limitations
Word Count: 1101
A comprehensive Synthetic Insulated Jacket State of the Market Report will be released on March 25, 2018. When that report is published, we’ll update this review with a comparison summary of this product with other notable products in the review.
This review is part of a comprehensive State of the Market survey of synthetic insulated jackets that has been ongoing for the past two years. Included in this survey:
- Arc'teryx Kappa Hoody Review
- Patagonia Nano Air Hoody Review
- Outdoor Research Uberlayer Review
- Rab Xenon X Review
- Montbell Thermawrap Guide Review
- Rab Nimbus Review
- Patagonia Nano Air Light Review
- LLBean Primaloft Packaway Review
- Arc'teryx Proton LT Review
- Black Diamond Heat Treat Hoody Review
- Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody Review
- Arc'teryx Nuclei FL Jacket Review
- Nunatak Skaha Apex Review
- Montane Spitfire Parka Review
- Arc'teryx Nuclei AR Parka Review
- Patagonia DAS Parka Review (TBA March 25)
- Synthetic Insulated Jackets State of the Market Report (TBA March 25)
The manufacturer provided a sample of this product to the author with no agreement, requirement, or obligation for media coverage of any kind.