Topic

Zipper pull replacement

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Zipper pull replacement

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

A zipper pull on my tent died. I need to replace it. It is a YKK #3 double pull zipper. Most instructions I read say you need to cut open one end of the zipper tape and slide it on. However, Zpacks says

“To install these on to the zipper tape, insert both sides of the tape part way into the slider, and then “push” the slider on to the tape with your index finger. It is tricky at first but easy when you get the hang of it!”

Does that mean you can pop one on without cutting the tape, which would be ideal for a field repair? Has anyone had success with hit? If so, I don’t entirely understand his directions. You put each side of the zipper tape into the large open end of the pull and just push them together? How does that get the zipper into the small part of the pull?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You need access to the ends of the zipper tape. Not an easy field repair.

YouTube video

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

Thanks, KenT. That’s what I thought.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

It can be an easy field repair depending on how the end of the zipper tape is sewn. For example, on my Oware pyramid tarp, to add a new slider I would: cut the top two lines of stitching across the teeth/coil, remove old slider, add new slider, hand-stitch a line across the zipper.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools