Topic

Your biggest issue with the TT Aeon Li??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your biggest issue with the TT Aeon Li??

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

It ain’t a double wall and there’s no option for this.

BUT… the Notch Li solves this problem for only 3 oz. more.

SADLY THERE IS ALSO NO OPTION FOR A BROWN OR GREEN DYNEEMA FLY. :o(  Shade and more privacy are nice things in a tent – especially for that money.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Well it’s a great ‘mid design that solves the problems of other Dyneema solo ‘mods.

But… for another 3 oz. I’ll take the TT Notch Li double wall (half solid inner) for its resistance to blowing dust  – or spindrift If I’m caught in an unseasonal snowstorm, as happened once. Yep, all that foe another 3 oz., and a bit less inner room.

Mark Edwards
    BPL Member

@gulfcoast

Locale: MS Gulf

How weather-tite are the vents in a hard, blowing rain?  That question is what keeps me from pulling the trigger on this tent.  Thanks!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the front top vent is pretty weather tight imo, the rear lower vent can be closed up all the way if rain is getting in; there is also some flow from under the vestibule and little to no risk w/ blowing rain there

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

I don’t like the tensioners used to keep the struts in place. Too fiddly.

I never take the struts out, so for my type of use, the struts add complexity and risk.

Sure enough, when setting the Aeon Li up in a strong wind, one of the struts came out of its pocket due to a slack tensioner and punctured the fly. It was easy to repair, but not fun when it happened.

I’d much prefer to see a version with fixed struts that cannot be removed.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I had the strut that shapes the beak come out on one end, took me quite awhile to figure out how to get it back in- if it comes out again it will be a little quicker fix :)

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

I still absolutely love this tent and can’t wait to test it in inclement weather.  However, after a bit more use, I am annoyed at the size of the stuff sack.  It needs to be slightly bigger in my opinion.  Maybe I’m the only one who is challenged by trying to get the tent back in the sack.  But when it is cold and wet and I have a big mile day ahead of me, the last thing I want to do is spend extra time trying to fold and roll it perfectly.  I’m going to find a larger sack for my thru hike, just something I don’t want to fiddle with.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I sure want one of these.  Just have to wait until back in stock (a bit of a delay currently).

Thanks for sharing owners….

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’m a little confused on their website- is there an update (change) coming for Aeon Li or is the update- we’ll let you know when they are back in stock?

If they are indeed update the shelter, I’d be very curious in what way.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I think it is the latter.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ahhhhh

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Some recent r/Ultralight posts from a TT employee indicate that it will actually have some design updates, but they are not yet revealed.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well my Ahhhh is now Hmmmmm :)

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Locale: Rocky Top, Tennessee

Looks like I got the zipper addition to the Aeon Li I wanted back in January.  I don’t understand the other changes to the Aeon. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

The new Aeon Li will have notably better cut/sew/finish quality, as they will be made in a different factory. If updates are going to be consistent with the new Notch, then we’ll see some better bonding quality, changes in how stress points are reinforced, and maybe minor changes in patterning and finish notions.

Regarding the OP, I’ve used both the Aeon Li and the Notch Li and prefer the latter due to better storm and condensation resistance and dual vestibules, but the interior livability of the Aeon is a bit nicer if you have to spent a lot of time in the tent.

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Locale: Rocky Top, Tennessee

Thank-you, Ryan!

.den (OP)

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Besides the vestibule change, the other small change is the PitchLoc corner tensioning which is now independently adjustable at both the top and ground level (to match the recent improvement to the StratoSpire Li PitchLoc tensioning).

-H

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

After reading Ryan’s snowstorm problem with the AEON Li and not really liking single wall tents I opted for the  double wall Notch Li at a whopping 3 oz. more weight. I like it.

But yeah, as Ryan sea, the AEON Li has more interior “livability” space. The Notch is narrow, with barely enough room to change your mind.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Often, I have to go back and forth between tent threads and the product pages from the tentmaker, in order to get a picture. For example, there were at least two references to magnetic zippers above, although the website specs YKK #3 WP zips, inner and outer. The door tie-outs are held by magnets. I think this sort of thing results from posts by folks who have not used the tent. So, it would be helpful if posters would first advise whether they have used the tent. But I would love to see real magnetic zippers if they are lighter and perform better. Certainly they could be easily cleaned – no coil or teeth to collect dirt and abrade. And no, I have not used any of the Li tents – I’m in Mitt’s 40%.

Also, I noticed Rex Sanders’ recent BPL article about first buying a smaller pack, and adjusting preferences to fit gear into it. It’s a bit like what long distance hikers have been doing for years, dumping a lot of non-essential gear as they go. At any rate, I can see how the consistently wider tent, the Aeon Li, would be more comfy if stuck in the tent on a stormy day; but the Aeon is also single wall, and you can be sure there will be a lot of condensation during a lengthy storm. And brushing self, clothing and sleepwear against condensation cuts way down on greater space. Not to mention that it is difficult to get a feel for interior space until you’ve actually spent some time in the tent. Pictures and diagrams just don’t cut it in that department. Confession: I’ve never spent a whole day inside a tent in a storm. Just get up and get going, the exception being endless lightning, which ruined one trip in the Southern San Juans and another in the Uintas. Sometimes you just want to get the heck out.

I think one issue here may be that Henry is a bit too wedded to the PitchLock devices, and has said as much in articles. I read everything he writes I can find; but sorry, don’t remember and catalog each and every article. My 2nd or 3rd Tarptent was the original Moment, and the first mod was to make all the struts removable so they could be carried in the pole bag, and in turn nestled in the rolled up sleeping pad bag. As I recall, they were around 18″ long – they had to be to create enough space at the head and foot ends – but 18″ is too long for a pole bag. Why not make them longer, but in two sections, to create larger areas around the head and feet. When sticking your feet into one end of a tent, it should not be like getting into a sleeping bag, especially with that first single wall Moment that created plenty of condensation, when the goal is to create warm feet, not wet feet. Ditto for your head. Although nothing can match having an old dog fill up a bathtub floor with pee, because I was too dumb to take her with me on all pee breaks. Another reason I take small, but regular towels, not the ‘pack’ towels.

With the above comments in mind, I think around two pounds is essential for a fully functional solo tent, whatever it is made of. And no need to go hunting to see how small a space can be found to pitch in. If you’re going to be prepared for stormy, windy weather, it is worth the few minutes it takes to find enough pitching space for stabilizing guylines in all directions in case they are needed. We’ve seen the pictures of tents pitched on precipices, exposed to the worst weather. If you’re crazy enough to do that, best have space for some good gyylines if you don’t want to be blown off the mountain wrapped in a tent.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

For example, there were at least two references to magnetic zippers above, although the website specs YKK #3 WP zips, inner and outer. The door tie-outs are held by magnets. I think this sort of thing results from posts by folks who have not used the tent. So, it would be helpful if posters would first advise whether they have used the tent.

@scfhome
    I haven’t used the tent, but I do know that the #3YKK zippers are new on the version 2 of the Aeon. The first version didn’t have zippers. It appears to have had overlapping doors held closed with magnets (but not a magnetic zipper); they can be seen in this video at about 1.50.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Edit to the post above: I’m wrong, it’s a clip and velcro holding the doors closed (1.30 here).

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

I have the 2019 version of the Aeon Li.
    It used hook and loop for the door seal accompanied by a metal clip at the bottom.
    The tie backs for the doors use magnets to hold the rolled up doors in place.

During three weeks usage split between the Alps and the Pyrenees, I encountered some heavy storms above treeline. Condensation management was really good for a pyramid, but doesn’t prevent it completely.

In strong storms with moderate/fresh/strong force wind, there is a good chance that rain will inundate the front vestibule and that spray will make it even into the sleeping area. This is a problem that all pyramids that don’t have full coverage flies must work with. Since I carry an umbrella, I use the umbrella to plug the gap under the doors. It worked well to mitigate the problem.

The new zipper-equipped door is an improvement. I wish I could retrofit mine with one. Strong winds at the right angle can blow the hook and loop closure apart, just when you need the protection the most. Not good. Since I live in France now, buying a new one facing heavy import taxes, plus the low prices seen on the used market, means I ain’t upgrading any time soon.

The tent is spacious, especially lengthwise, yet even with the pitchloc corners, I found that even though I’m only 170cm (5’7″) I still needed to train myself to get up and lie down with care not to brush against the walls. The real advantage of the pitchlocs is that they keep the roof well away from the face and feet when lying down.

I would have preferred if the floor had been made with silnylon. DCF would be fine if the design were modular, allowing use of the fly independently of the floor.

I didn’t have any problems with stowing the Aeon Li with the pitchloc struts permanently in place. The whole thing fits neatly into a tall sidepocket on a SWD Long Haul. Problem solved.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think this sort of thing results from posts by folks who have not used the tent. So, it would be helpful if posters would first advise whether they have used the tent.

You must be new here. :-)

My pettest peeve is short people telling tall people, “I’m 5’8″ but have LOTS of extra space so I’m SURE you’ll fit just fine!”

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

LOL. I’m 5’7″ and there is definitely tons of extra space, as in way too much lengthwise. But I’d hesitate to tell anybody taller than I that they would fit. Sure, when you’re either lying down or sitting up, there’s plenty of room to fit much taller people. The issue is really how to move effectively between those two positions without brushing against the fly at some point.

At my height it’s doable but still requires training my movements to fit.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

“You must be new here. :-)”

How could you ever think that?  Though I’d bored everyone to death by now.

On good thing about this type of thread, they tell me lots of things to design in or out of MYOG tents.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools