Topic

YER EXPERIENCE WITH DYNEEMA TENT FLOORS?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) YER EXPERIENCE WITH DYNEEMA TENT FLOORS?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

How does Mylar compare with polycryo in puncture resistance?

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Xavier at Tipik has done a lot of material testing, much of it documented on the French UL forum.

This is from his website: https://tipik-tentes.fr/atelier/materiaux

He says PU coating helps with puncture.

Interesting also his comparison of 40d silpoly and 40d silmylon in the outer fabric section, vis tear strength.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Regular nylon is about 1/3 stronger than poly for the same weight. So 1.1 Nylon would be roughly equivalent to  around 1.5oz poly. Now there are a couple different nylon;s. Nylon [6,6] is about 40-60% stronger than poly. This is around 1.54 to 1.76oz poly

Fabric tear strengths seem to be all over the place, but I disagree with the general conclusion that regular nylon (nylon 6) is 1/3 stronger and nylon 6,6 is 40-60% stronger. I’m sure there are examples like this and I think we’ve discussed this a few times and thus probably won’t agree, but for the actual fibers themselves poly is about 99% as strong as nylon 6,6, per DuPont who actually make these fibers:
    poly-nylon

Of course, going from fibers to fabrics involves a lot of other factors (threadcount, calendaring etc) and nylon does seem to gain an edge there, but according to Mike Cecot-Scherer (arguably the most prolific tent designer of all time) nylon 6,6 typically has a 15% advantage (source) – not 40-60%. That’s the same as what I’m seeing. The tear strength of the 20D polyester that we use tests 85-90% as strong as putting identical coatings on a nylon 6,6. So with nylon losing about 10% strength when wet, they’re very similar in the field even before factoring in UV degradation.

I suspect a lot of the results showing silpoly being substantially weaker are because a lot of silpoly isn’t true silpoly. A lot of it is using a sil/PU blend coating (like what RSBTR sells) that is substantially weaker than pure sil, and often this is the case even when the person using the fabric isn’t aware of that. Coatings tend to have a much larger effect on tear strength than nylon vs poly.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

A very crude rule of thumb is that a silicone coating might double the tear strength (over the uncoated), while a PU coating might halve it.

Cheers

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

BTW, that Tipik page converts to Eng by clicking the flag. Clear on the reading that the 40d silnylon and silpoly compared in the outer tent material chart are both non-PU.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

In this thread, I shared a fabric performance chart prepared by an employee of Ripstop By the Roll, a large seller of fabrics for use in MYOG as well manufacture of gear.  The chart rates several of the fabrics and  runs all the way from low to high ratings, so is critical of some of the seller’s products in many respects.   The ratings are not just of raw fabric yarns, but rate specific fully manufactured fabrics offered for sale.   I think that makes the chart more helpful, because many of the qualities of a fabric depend not just on the yarns; but also on the quality and process of manufacture, including the weaving, coatings, etc.

The chart’s evaluation of PU coats added to membrane silpoly is consistent with the comment on this page by Roger Caffin about the effect of PU on tear strength.  He has long experience with the fabric business.  The chart rates the Membrane silpoly PU 4000, “low” in that regard, and low also with respect to puncture resistance.

The chart also is consistent with my experience with some of the fabrics.  The one in question earlier in this thread was the quality of one such fabric, the RBTR 15 denier non-ripstop Membrane Silpoly, weighing .93 oz/sq/yd and coated on both sides with a “mix” of silicone and polyurethane.

I find it very useful to often make small scale models of tents before attempting to build them.  Until recently, I used silnylon to build a number of models, but more recently tried using the above 15 denier polyester for the outer skin of the models, stretched over frames made of music wire, and pinned to the the peaks of the frame above, and to a plastic or cork board below.  Here is a very early model that dates back to the years when Epic Malibu, a heavier polyester fabric, was used by Black Diamond on their single wall tents:

Some may recognize this model from a project I’ve posted about based on a double cross pole configuration, XX for short.  The Epic Malibu polyester fabric worked fine, and demonstrated that polyester fabric does have significant bias stretch, diagonal to the fabric grain.  But later, when I tried using the RBTR Membrane 15 denier, it unraveled from the pins at the peaks, causing the model’s canopy to come apart.   Repeated attempts led to the same result.  So went back to silnylon for the models.

So my experience was also consistent with the above RBTR chart that rated their fabric medium-low or vice-versa for tear strength, puncture resistance and abrasion resistance.  For the above reasons, I think the RBTR chart is worthy of some reliance, especially considering that it is highly unusual for sellers of MYOG materials to specifically rate their own products so critically.  When we ask questions that we already know the answer to, the responses provide guidance about how much we can rely on the answers to questions we don’t know the answers to.  We have a few lab workers on BPL, but in large part we have to rely on our own knowledge and experiences in making judgments about materials as well as a lot of other things.

Please note that tear resistance, as distinguished from puncture and abrasion resistance, can be very different.  An example is provided by DCF, a material often discussed on these forums.  I’ve often found it easy to stick a straight pin through tent weight DCF, or even cut it with a sharp utility knife.  Whereas tearing the same material can be very difficult.

Please don’t get me wrong.  Silpoly has a place, and RBTR sells a lot of it I’m sure.  Especially the heavier 20 denier ripstop silpoly weighing 1.24 oz/sq/yd.  And I’ve decided to use that silpoly for the vestibules on a tent because it appears much more resilient than the non-ripstop Membrane 15 denier, and also because the leading edge of each vestibule is key in the design to tensioning and supporting the tent, and keeping it taut in an application where silnylon would sag and loosen the walls of the tent.

But I’ve decided to use silnylon for the main body of the tent, the portion shown with fabric stretched over the frame in the above photo, because as you can see, the frame stretches the fabric on the bias.  I’ve found from experiments that a permanent bias stretch on a silnylon canopy will minimize sag from dew and wet weather.

The 20D silnylon from Estrem Textil is .16 oz lighter per sq/yd than the 20 D silpoly from RBTR, but it is not just that.  It is that I’m persuaded that the silnylon will be more reliable “when thing go wrong,” as in Roger’s excellent article for BPL.  And after looking at all the info linked in this and other threads on BPL, I think there is a consensus about that.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yup. Typically nylon is stronger for the weight, and, is more forgiving in bad weather.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Sam, I think your hypothesis – that pulling the bias stretch out while tensioning the fly reduces moisture/temperature-related sag of silnylon – is probably right. I’ve mentioned a couple times some inexpensive 8-sided mids by the Chinese company Knot that sag less than any silnylon shelter I’ve tried. Their designs essentially rely on pulling the bias stretch out of the fabric during tensioning, and I think this design feature, rather than fabric characteristics, must be responsible for their no-sag behavior, as the silnylon they use is on the low end of the spectrum (not 6,6, coating, weave quality, etc.)

Someone could build a model of tear strength using all the variables in the chart that Dan Durston posted, but that model could easily be invalidated by a simple tear strength comparison, as provided by Tipik. On the other hand, we don’t know a lot of things about the 40d silnylon and 40d silpoly that Tipik compared in that chart (were they homogeneous  in coating, weave, etc.), so I think we have to be a little careful about over-generalizing from that one result.

Maybe Xavier could chime in.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Things  I am pondering while reading this thread.

Nylon, as mentioned, stretches more than polyester. In a climbing rope situation, a stretchy rope over an abrasive edge will wear faster than a static rope if there is repeated back and forth motion. Might movement in a tent floor over a rough surface produce similar results? This might make polyester/mylarpreferred in some instances?

Since stretchy nylon spreads out the forces to a larger area as well as absorbing energy more than polyester could this make nylon preferred for some uses?

I always liked a full length waterproof pad to keep me above any water entry into the shelter, whether snow melt from boots, spilled dinner or leaky floors/groundsheet.

Camping where cattle range (and evacuate) is not uncommon where I live (NE WA) and they, like I,  usually like the most level spots to hang out. Whether tarping or using a tent with a floor, some kind of ground sheet adds to the whole pleasantness of those campsites.  In the Sierra Nevada, a flat granite slab is often the bedroom of choice to avoid damage to foliage. Nice and clean, usually forgo any ground cover and just use the pad and a floorless shelter I can cook under when the night temps plummet. J-tree desert is something else entirely and inflatable pads and expensive tent floor fabrics are just asking for cactus punctures. I found a closed cell pad with a floorless shelter worked best for both ground cover and insulation.  In winter time I add a bivysack to keep out the wind.

So- I own a ground sheet of inexpensive material (usually a sil/poly blend coating on  nylon-not slippery and cheap and tough, about 1.4 oz/yd, not ultralight) and both a closed cell pad and inflatable. Then choice is made by hiking area.

Cuben stuff sacks laundered a few times become permeable. Silnylon ones hold up to more washings. (Bear country requires food bags to be cleaned).

Xavier Nitsch
    Spectator

@xavn

Locale: France, Tarn

I’m Xavier, from Tipik, i made the mentioned testing.

Silpolys are from ripstopbytheroll (RSBR) : i’m aware that the coating is a mix of Sil/PU, but this fabric behaves quite close to a silicone coating  ; bias stretch, slippery, glues with silicone and not PU. Therefore i didn’t mention it on the testing page : things are already quite complex for most costumers.

Silnylons come from Extremtextil (ET). Thread is quite loose, which i believe might help for tear strength. I also tested the silnylon 20D from RSBR, but tear strength was very close to the one from ET (6.5daN for RSBR and 7.1 for ET).

About puncture resistance, pure PU coatings are in my opinion a step higher than sil or sil/PU coatings. I tested to pierce the fabrics with a Ti peg and measured the strength needed with a scale. Here are the results :

PU Coatings :

RSBR silpoly 20D PU : 1450
    ET Nylon 50D PU : 2983
    ET Nylon 70D PU : 3187

Silicone coatings :

ET silnylon 20D : 340
    RSBR silnylon 20D : 323
    ET silnylon 40D : 340 (average of 3 different colors)

mix of Sil/PU coating :

RSBR silpoly 15D : 463
    RSBR silpoly 20D : 465
    RSBR silpoly 40D : 745

Cuben fiber :
    ET Cuben 25g/sqm : 1960

It’s interesting that the sil/PU coating from RSBR is here slightly better than the pure sil coatings. But anyway pure PU coatings hold better to this test. Silnylon 40D does not perform better than silnylon 20D, i wonder if this might be due to the loose thread.

A few things to keep in mind :

• These tests are for new materials only. In previous tests (fabric exposed outside for a few months) i noticed that PU ages faster than sil and sil/PU mix. I didn’t try to age cuben yet.
    • Testing was done with a Ti-peg (diam. 3mm) with a pointy end, on a fabric kept under tension. In real life, there is a wide variety of sharp things waiting for a tent, with different sizes and angles.
    • Figures above are direct transcriptions of my scale. Actual precision is lower, therefore figures like “345” should be understood as “between 300 and 400”
    • Puncture resistance is only one aspect of a fabric. There are many others.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Interesting. Thanks for this.

Is the tear testing per ISO 13937-4 methodology? Or just your own testing method that isn’t comparable to the results other people get?

So you are using the 15D membrane silpoly from RSBTR for the canopy of your lightest shelters? Does that seem to be working well?

I agree that the loose thread could be an important factor for tear strength. As everyone knows, it’s a lot easier to tear a fabric when you create a cut in the edge first. That’s because the cut focuses the force on a specific spot instead of a wider area. That’s an extreme example, but a loose weave might do something similar where the load can be spread more widely.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Xavier. Thank you.

interesting that you found .74 DCF puncture resistance so high. Until broken down by abrasion, that result suggests DCF might be quite an awesome floor fabric, at least from the puncture resistance/weight perspective.

Dan, do you have data on density-matched poly vs nylon tear testing to the stands you mention.

Xavier Nitsch
    Spectator

@xavn

For tear strength, i tried to remain as close as possible to the ISO 13937-4 (size and geometry of the sample especially). The main difference is the speed of the load which is higher.

Silpoly 15D (membrane) behaves very well in the “lab” testing (HH, tear strength…). In real life, i have noticed that durability is slightly lower than silpoly 20D.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Stumphges,

Re:  ” I think your hypothesis – that pulling the bias stretch out while tensioning the fly reduces moisture/temperature-related sag of silnylon – is probably right.”

I said:  “I’ve found from experiments that a permanent bias stretch on a silnylon canopy will minimize sag from dew and wet weather.”

A bit more on that:  Various samples of superlight nylon tent fabrics (0.8 – 1.08 oz/sq/yd) were stretched tautly on 9″ diameter plastic embroidery loops.  Here are two examples:

Note the the one on the left is shown with the fabric underneath the loop, and the one on the right has the fabric on top.  Then a number of loops were propped up vertically between sliding casement windows and sliding outside window screens.  There is an overhang on the roof to keep rain from hitting the windows and screens; but when the wind blows, it happens.  Initially, this was just to see how much expansion, meaning wrinkles and sagging, developed on the taut surfaces of the fabrics.

Each of the fabrics stayed in the windows through sun and rain for as long as was needed to gauge the amount of wrinkling and sagging, which was substantial, except that the nylons coated with both sil and PU, developed slightly less wrinkling; but it was more wrinkling than desired for the canopy of a tent.  Note FWIW that all the fabrics were tested for HH by either Richard Nisley or Stephen Seeber, and ranged in HH from mid-2000’s up to mid-3000’s after simulated aging by runs though washing machines.

Much more recently, plastic knitting needles slightly over 9″ long with music wire cores were inserted in some of the loops with the fabrics taut and facing down, and then rotated so that the fabrics were stretched diagonally on the bias across the grain of the weaves.  Even on 9″ diameter circles, the bias stretch of nylon allowed the fabric to dome outward substantially.  Then the exposure tests were repeated.  While there was slight wrinkling just inside the perimeters of the loops, the fabrics otherwise remained taut during fluctuations in the weather.  Hence my confidence that permanent bias stretching in a tent design will address issues with nylon sagging without the need for shock cord attachments at front stakes and other such measures.  But soon the full scale erected prototype canopy being used for design and measuring will also be subjected to weather changes.  Fall is a good time for that.

Of course, the above may all be moot as suggested by Xavier’s experiments contrasting the puncture strength of nylons and polyesters with different coatings.  One problem with that is the low rankings RBTR has published for its own polyesters vs nylons, linked in my post on the previous forum page:  https://ripstopbytheroll.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/236101568-Coated-Fabric-Comparison-Chart

Were it not for that, plus the opinions of many, I would be first in line for a sub one oz/sq/yd polyester light tent fabric with a mini-ripstop weave.  But I’m pretty sure from my own experiences that RBTR “membrane” silpoly 15 denier is not it.  Even if it were, I’d want something beefier for a floor, like the Silnylon 6.6 20 denier from RBTR, especially because I don’t use ground cloths.  It’s just that I’ve used high quality silnyon floors for many years with no punctures, abrasion, tearing, or leakage; and for floors, haven’t found drum tightness to be an issue.  These were all 20 to 30 denier fabrics, and all were nylon 6.6, ever since Thru-Hiker began offering it for sale.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I think we should treat that RSBTR table as nothing more than rough armchair estimates, until there is an indication they actually did some testing. It would be odd if they did proper quantitative testing, and then reduced those results to a very simplistic qualitative table without providing the actual results anywhere. I note that when RSBTR does do testing, it usually (always?) isn’t very rigorous (e.g. “let’s try to tear this by hand…hmm…it seems hard”) so I think the the odds of them measuring anything here are low.

That’s not to say they are wrong. A 15D sil/PU poly would be “low” compared to a 30D silnylon. But it would be nice to know how low.

But I do agree that a “silpoly” with a substantial amount of PU is not optimal. I’m not sure how much RSBTR has in their membrane silpoly, but something tilted more towards pure sil would be nice.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Has anyone asked them directly for testing results?

A couple of quotes from from Collin/Tramplite on Trek-lite (he’s on here as well)

By the way I would also rate silpoly as similar lifespan [as DCF]. The highest quality silnylon can last longer (12+ months) but the zips will probably have failed long before then ;-)

And

I’ve been long term testing silpoly for the last few years. Of course I’ve only tested a few brands but I have a good feel for how it ages now. The silicone layer is not impregnated as deep (if at all) into the fabric like it is in silnylon and it wears off quite quickly. One that’s gone the outer face can wet out. You still have a PU coating to keep the rain out but it too is very thin and rather fragile. Once that’s failed the fabric can leak. My test shelters have all seen some leakage after extended use. Shame really as I quite like the idea of silpoly, hence all the testing.

Which I find quite curious and isn’t what I’ve been hearing from others who’ve been testing the material.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

“The silicone layer is not impregnated as deep (if at all) into the fabric like it is in silnylon and it wears off quite quickly.”

What Colin is talking about here is not a general characteristic of silpoly. Maybe it is a bit harder to impregnate sil into poly, but it is still possible to do a great job so what he seeing here is specific to whatever individual silpoly he is testing.

For example, in testing by Richard Nisley the regular silpoly from RSBTR did have waterproofness that dropped off fast from >3500 mm (new) to about 800 mm by 16,000 cycles – which is sketchy – but in the same testing by Nisley we also see the X-Mid’s silpoly as waterproof after 16,000 cycles as some of the best 30D silnylon’s he has ever tested. Impregnation is key (as I discuss in my materials article) and it can be done well for either fiber.

Regarding lifespan, I suspect the same thing is going on there where Colin’s comments are applicable to whatever fabric he is testing but not silpoly in general. There are many factors that affect the lifespan and quite a bit of information showing that if you equalize these to nylon (e.g. denier, coatings, threadcount etc) then poly has the longer lifespan. For example, Nemo write that poly “holds up better over time“.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

To demonstrate how wildly tear strength can vary here is a list of specs for 30-40D nylon and poly fabrics from a fabric mill. Not shown here are the type of nylon (e.g 6 vs 6,6), type of coatings, and other factors.

My main point is that you can’t conclude much in the way of general truths from a small sample of fabrics. We see three 30D nylons ranging widely from 500 – 3000g, and then 30D poly at 1400g, and results for the 40D fabrics that are quite similar to the 30D. Even if you accounted for coatings etc, there would be enough variation that you wouldn’t want to base any general conclusions on only 1 or a few samples.

It would be easy to cherry pick data to support any conclusion. One could say “Wow 30D poly (sample 6) is 3x stronger than 30D nylon (sample 1) and even 40% stronger than 40D nylon (sample 4)“. Or the opposite: “Wow 30D nylon (sample 3) is twice as strong as 30D poly (sample 6)” etc. Actually those differences are most likely the result of different coatings, much moreso than fiber. I don’t have coating specs for these fabrics  to investigate further. If I did, I’m sure they would explain some but not all of the differences. Fiber differences are relatively minor compared to the other factors at play.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Dan, I think that without homogeneous samples (at very least, coating and weight-matched) this will remain an open question. It’s a really good question, though, and I find it interesting that Xavier at Tipik uses silpoly for his UL shelters despite his testing of denier- and coating class-matched samples showing higher tear strength going to the nylons consistently. This probably gets back to R. Caffin’s assertion that fly fabric is usually not the weak link.

On the other hand, we have RBTR claiming that their 7d nylon 6,6 silnylon has twice the tear strength of their 15d Membrane silpoly (double-sided sil/pu blend coating). With such light wovens possibly being alternatives to DCF, tear strength does seem relevant still, and then one wonders if the important variable is nylon, or 6,6, or all-sil coating, etc.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Where does RBTR say that about their 7D? I could be that much stronger, but primarily because of the sil vs sil/PU.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

BTW, Dan, do you know why blended sil+pu coatings are being used on RBTR’s double-sided sil-coated fabrics? The PU is probably the minority player in the blend, given that they recommend sil adhesives for repairs, etc., but why is it there in the first place? Adhesion to polyester? Does the PU content reduce tear strength?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I wish I knew. I’m not aware of any advantages to blending in the PU. Maybe you can seam tape it, but no one buying from RSBTR is seam taping.

I got some more info on these three 30D nylon’s that vary in tear strength by 6x.

The coatings are Sil/PU 1500, PE5000, and Sil/PE 2000, respectively. Note:
    1) The numbers are marketing terms moreso than actual HH tests, but still give a rough idea of how much total coating is on the fabric.
    2) For the dual coated fabrics, I have no information on the relative weight of these coatings but they are one coating per side, not a blend.
    3) There are other factors like threadcount (listed), calendaring, type of nylon, etc.

I still think it is remarkable that #3 is 6x stronger. It is 20% higher threadcount and 20% heavier, and PE is better than PU, but even if #3 is nylon 6,6 vs 6 it is still a remarkable difference. I have samples of these, so I made do some hasty tear strength tests to see if the large advantage for #3 seems real.

Xavier Nitsch
    Spectator

@xavn

I agree that the specifications only give a rough idea of the fabric.

About the 7D silnylon from RSBR, it looked promising but i  measured in november 2019 a tear strength of 1.9kg and HH of 1200mm. To be sure I also re-tested scraps of different fabrics that same day, which gave the following results : Silpoly 15D : 3.0kg / Silpoly 20D : 5.2kg / Silpoly 40D : 6.7kg / Silpoly 20D PU4000 : 1.2kg (very consistent with previous measures).

What is interesting is that i measured i puncture resistance of 957 vs 463 for silpoly15D : i believe that the sample of silnylon 7D i received had a high amount of PU in its coating. I do not know if my sample was representative though.

(Results are disappointing, but all in all it is not so bad for only 26g/sqm and it could be used by an ultralighter)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks Xavier. Your results that 7D nylon is substantially less strong than 15D poly make a lot more sense.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools