Topic

Xmid or free standing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Xmid or free standing?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Alex W,

No argument there.  26 oz for a 2-3 person shelter is amazing.  Wow!

Dan Durston
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I think he’s just referring to the fly/outer portion. PreTents lists that complete shelter as having a minimum weight of 1450g (51 oz).
    https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/products/pretents-mega

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@ludwigk

What ‘mid’ is that with the 4 peaks around the center pole?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Alexander, that’s a “PreTents Mega.” I bought it a few years ago from tarapoky.com, but it doesn’t look like it’s available now.

Dan is correct; the 26 ounces only accounts for the outer silnylon fly, which is how I like to use it. However, on trips with my boys and especially when mosquitoes are likely present, I’ll bring the inner.

Dan Durston
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It’s an interesting way to increase headroom. Kinda similar to the old Mountain Hardwear Hoopla 4 but with the poles in an X instead of a circle:
    https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/103406/mountain-hardwear-hoopla-4-tent

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Thank you Dan D. for spotting that.

Jason McGrath
    BPL Member

@pnwruddyman

That describes most of the places I pitch my Xmid 1p. The way I see it, the Xmid has several advantages that have made it my tent of choice but footprint size is not one of them. Sometimes you just have to spend some extra time to find a spot or get creative to make it fit. That said, I’ll probably add a 1p freestanding to the mix at some point for fair weather trips since I’d like another 1p anyway for bringing friends. Footprint size will be the priority for that tent and I’ll compromise roominess. That experiment may or may not last 😁.  The Xmid 1p has plenty of room for 1 person and is much easier to manage up high than the 2p; I have and use both!

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!