Topic

X-pac Lite Skin LS21 – any experiences with this material?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear X-pac Lite Skin LS21 – any experiences with this material?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Getting ready to order some UL backpack materials from Quest Outfitters and noticed very little discussion about the LS 21 Lite Skin fabric. Has anyone use this material for a backpack or any other project, and if so, what are your thoughts and impressions? The LS 21 Seems like a nice mid-weight non-absorbent fabric for the main panels on an UL backpack, maybe with VX-07 or VX-21 for the pack bottom and side pockets?

The X-pac X-21 RC gets good reviews for backpack panels too, but the exposed film on the inside seems less suited for side pockets, which see inside abrasion.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Liteskin’s properties were discussed in this thread.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Thanks Matthew, I read that post previously several times. Here’s another good BPL post that touches on two of the Lite Skin fabrics (LS 07 and LS 42), but no mention of the LS 21. There’s a good comparison video of LS-07 versus VX-07 here, but again, LS-21 is missing. I just ordered a yard each of five different X-pac fabrics to experiment on and make a pack or two (or three), including VX-07, VX-21, LS-07, LS-21 and X 21 RC. I’ll post a short, subjective comparison (maybe with a video) after making some test seams and bar tacks and trying to rip, gouge and scrape each fabric.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Interesting links. Thanks for sharing those. I’ll be interested to hear about the results of your testing. Please share them!

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

Following..

Andrew Stevens
    BPL Member

@nuttool

I’m making a 40l backpack with both the LS21 and LS07.  It’s easier to work with than regular x-pac 21.  I think my pack should be sub 16 oz with LS21/07 side pockets and a large outside zipper pocket.  I’ll send pictures when I’m done.  Andrew

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Thanks Andrew. I have a yard of the LS21 that I’ll probably use for an upcoming pack for low-wear, low-stress areas (main panels, roll top, etc). Seems like a decent pack material so long as it’s not in high abrasion areas like the bottom. I do like the Lite Skin’s smooth feel on the outside, but doubt it would hold up to much scraping, dragging and scuffing and still be waterproof, but only time will tell. After working with VX 07, VX21, X21 RC, LS07 and LS21, it seems like X21 RC provides a good compromise between weight, abrasion resistance, waterproofing and stitch holding power.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools