Topic

Wordpress forum ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

So, when all the MLIFERS had the strategic planning meeting, and decided to upgrade the forum, there must have been some discussion about migrating to phpbb or vbullitin.

how did WP win ?   Time to deploy ?   Cost of hosting ?  Ease of migration ?

It’s a bit clunky.    Such as to post I have to turn my phone 90 to get the submit button to appear.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Why does this question get two not helpful? It’s an honest question. What’s the deal with the helpful/not helpful tags anyway? Back to a point system like the forum of old. Remember those? Never could get an explanation on how those worked.   But, I did read that RJ is aware of this site not being mobile friendly and that a fix is in the works. We should see changes in the Spring.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The mobile formatting issue is fixed.

I am am not sure why they chose WP but so far it isn’t that user friendly.

I realize i was was the only one but I didn’t mind the old site.

Hopefully this WP site continues to be streamlined.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I did not play a role in the determination of what platform the site was re-built on but when Ryan informed me prior I wholeheartedly approved of WordPress as the choice.  The software is so widely customizable that it will allow BPL to change, grow, and expand indefinitely.

The new website rollout is happening in multiple stages so not all functionality is complete and the final look of the site is only just begun.  Mobile friendliness is high atop the list of goals and the individual leading the development is highly skilled in this arena so expect good things.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Thanks Sam.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Is BPL still in love with WordPress ?

Has BPL considerred that some turds can’t be polished ?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The polishing seems to be happening at a glacial pace. This would be humorous except it isn’t.

r m
    Spectator

@rm

Long as someone keeps on top of the security side of things I’m happy with WP, but that looks like a bit of a task in itself…

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-2337/product_id-4096/

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

I think we are at step four.   Maybe 5.    Halfway to a great WordPress experience.

1. Old forum software
    2. Gently migrate site preserving data
    3. move to word press and add ads
    4. Reshape the community
    5. ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools