Topic

Windscreen for Canister Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Windscreen for Canister Stove

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

I’m sorry my pictures are out of order but I did the best I could do.   I wanted to create a simple wind screen for my canister top stove. Using a pair of tin snips and some roofing flashing I created the simple crude  screen  in the pictures. It requires a pot with one of Dan Y’s rolled ridges.  I imagine Dan could  create something a whole lot lighter and more elegant using titanium. I thought you guys might like to see this and play with the idea. Thanks – Russ

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

Russ when in use does the canister get hot? Do you have a side view with the windscreen on the pot?

Thanks

Mike

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That looks like it should work good

It will tend to direct the hot exhaust to the sides of the pot

how much does it weigh?

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Here is a side view…sorry it’s sideways.  It weighs about what  my aluminum foil weighs which is next to nothing. Titanium would be 1/2 of nothing.

The canister did not get warm with limited testing. There are so many variables  that could be adjusted: size of tabs, gap between screen and pot, length, gap for stove adjustment. I think I could have made about an inch longer with less of a gap for the stove adjustment…limited by the size of the scrap I had.

I didn’t measure anything….just carved it up a with tin snips in about 5 minutes.  I rolled it up to get some spring compression, so quite possibly you could use a pot without the rolled ridge. It is quite crude…just playing around. An MVP…minimal viable product.

I’m going on a 10 day Sierra hike tomorrow so unfortunately I won’t get to play around for a while. I’ll let you know how it works when I return.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Nice jobs!  It looks like it will work fine.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Where are you hiking? I’m in Lone Pine, heading to Bishop tomorrow. Just got out of the Sierra yesterday from Sawmill Pass.

Jerry should post a pic of his windscreen, similar to yours.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Pretty cool Doug. I’m actually putting in at Mineral King and over Sawmill Pass (rather be coming the direction you were!), an hopefully to Big Five Lakes, Hamilton Lake, Alta Lake and x-country to Colby Lake, Midway Mtn. traverse, possibly Hamilton pass or not, Forrister Pass…..I will be soaking in Kern Hot Spring at some point…and back to Mineral King with whatever makes the most sense with the last 2 days. Hoping for the best! Happy Trails! Russ

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Russ

That is very clever. I don’t think I have seen anything exactly similar before.
    Yes, please: a post-trip report would be wonderful.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Awesome idea. Is that a Toaks Light 650 pot and a BRS3000 titanium burner/stove?

Thanks for sharing, look forward to some usage results.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Rather than riding on a ridge on the pot

I have folds on the aluminum that are pressed into the pot with steel wire.  This has an advantage that heat is transferred to pot.  Saves maybe 10% of fuel.

Same material, aluminum flashing, 1.3 ounces (this being BPL)

Nests into pot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools