Topic

Wind speed anemometer with iPhone logging?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wind speed anemometer with iPhone logging?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

<p style=”text-align: center;”> I am looking for a handheld anemometer that I can optionally plug into my iPhone to log data if I choose. I want it to be freestanding, in other words not dependent on my phone at all, and of course very inexpensive and lightweight. This is definitely a luxury item.</p>
    There seem to be plenty handhelds available in the $15-$30 range but I’m having trouble finding one that has a cable to plug into my iPhone.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Why? Genuinely curious

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I googled “bluetooth anemometer” and got many hits. Of course they are not cheap, but they do exist.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Hold iPhone four feet over a marked spot.

Drop phone.

Measure distance it lands to the side.

Do the math.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I see a lot of data-logging anemometers for $250-$350.

One used one with a USB port for $60:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digi-Sense-Data-Logging-Vane-Anemometer-with-NIST-Traceable-Calibration/173646359201?hash=item286e212aa1:g:JucAAOSwGYhb8D96

It doesn’t meet your “free-standing” criteria, but one way to capture data from a $15, non-data-logging anemometer is to run a time-lapse photography app (one frame every 1, 10, 20, 60. . . seconds) on your phone while it’s pointed on the display of the anemometer.   And while maybe you don’t want to leave your high-end, daily-driver smartphone on a mountaintop, you can get new, off-brand smartphone for $100 and used ones for less.  It wouldn’t need a phone plan, just bluetooth or USB connection for when you get it home.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Tnx for the replies. let’s see if I can address them:

why? I’m always curious about things, and my perception of the environment vs actual data. Wind speed and direction at ground level and how it affects my fire, stove, tarp or tent setup when out luxury disbursed camping. Also I have cranky neighbors likely to call the police about my backyard fire pit-so a little logged data of wind speed and direction might help.

By freestanding I meant can use as a stand-alone device not tethered to my phone or logging data.  I didn’t mean to imply leaving it unattended somewhere.

I tried dropping my phone and doing some measuring. Ineffective at less than gale winds. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding doing my own searching-if there is such a tool at the weight and price I want, BPL folks I can trust. Otherwise any ol’ $15 wind speed meter off Amazon will do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools