Topic

Wind River Backpacking: Sawmills, Tenkara, and Trout in the Popo Agie Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Wind River Backpacking: Sawmills, Tenkara, and Trout in the Popo Agie Wilderness

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Wind River backpacking and tenkara fly fishing in the Sawmill Creek drainage and Upper Silas Canyon in Wyoming’s Popo Agie Wilderness.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Ryan,

I enjoyed this trip report.  I’m especially glad you took the opportunity to go backpacking and fishing with Chase before graduate school.  What will he be studying and working on?  Is it something with music, composition or performance?

Keith Schoonmaker
    BPL Member

@kas

Splendid report, Ryan.

My wife, three of my kids, and I made a similar trip one week ago minus the bushwhacking. Because the gravel road was open, the day hiking traffic was quite high for fishermen, even up to some of the lakes you cited. Perhaps the bushwhacking enabled your isolation.

I admire your sub-15 pound pack weight, but why do I compare myself to the master? Our packs were ~22 pounds once loaded with 1.5 liters of water per person and a couple days food in the BV500. Lighter gear was stuck 1,000 miles away in containers at our neighborhood post office which held our priority mail on-site for at least 14 days before delivering it the final two miles during our trip; we made due.

Two of my children are around Chase’s age, and I too wonder how many more trips we will share before other events become their higher priority. I heard not a single complaint during this trip. At times on this hike, I would look at them and be unable to speak. I suspect you know the feeling of being sobered by realizing eventual separation, but also grateful for being remarkably blessed.

Thank you for the report, and for all the instruction you have shared over the years to make our mountain trips enjoyable. Earlier in the week, we hiked a three-day trip that a fellow subscriber recommended, so we continue to benefit from this community you cultivated.

Best regards,

Keith

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Very nice write up. Your writing just gets better and better. I felt like I was practically out there with you guys.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools