Topic

Wind Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wind Pants

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Whilly Jo
    BPL Member

@whillyjo

I am considering getting a pair of wind pants but I am not liking how expensive they are.  Everyone seems to like the Dynamo pant by Montbell and I know Luke’s Ultralight makes a pair as well.  They are both $79. Are there any well performing wind pants out there that are cheaper? If not, I might just bite the bullet and buy a pair of Montbell with a member discount.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

It does depend a lot on how much weight you are willing to carry

I use the surplus USMC nylon snow M-65 overwhite pants that cost about $6- USD at the moment. I use them for a combination of reasons, cheap, relatively hard wearing and durable great pockets, really good zipper system and can be put on while wearing big boots of  necessary, generously sized for winter use; cheap and my XL tall pair only weigh 400 grams with the integrated stuff sack and all the buttons, cut off the buttons and heavy cotton tabs for fitting the insulated liner and save 100 grams

Not Ultra light but cheap and excellent value and I leave the button tabs in because I think the insulated liners are also good value

Whilly Jo
    BPL Member

@whillyjo

Thanks for the info, I will have to check them out.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I wouldn’t carry 300+ grams of wind pants certainly. Not when the three ounce or less pairs work fine. I bought a pair of Dynamos here on Gearswap, no regrets.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Ken I guess it depends on your needs, at the time mine was definitely for minimum cost with maximum versatility and the ability to take hard wear, I have since bought much lighter but I never use them as I am simply scared of ruining expensive gear on the tree and scrubs I regularly ski through There is a huge difference between UL fabric and medium weight fabric where wear and tear is concerned

I consider my UL Montaine Featherlite wind pants a waste of money, not least because I have to take of my boots to put them on, and their XXL is more like a Medium your needs are probably very different

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I take some different gear for three-season backpacking and for winter ski touring.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I don’t go out much in the warm weather I guess I’m much more winter oriented Paul

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

OP doesn’t sound like winter or bushwhacking…

I have used Dynamos a bunch and like them, as well as Montane Minimus when wetter/cooler conditions are in the weather forecast.

For a longer trip I’d take the Minimus pants. I snipped the elastic on the cuffs and cut off the Velcro adjuster strap thingies because I found them annoying and unnecessary. Size M goes on easily over my size 11.5 trail runners.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I have a pair of Patagonia Houdini wind pants – about 3 oz and surprisingly durable for their weight though I tend to avoid wearing them when there’ll be a lot of abrasion. Also love them for travel, where I can pull them over pants in sudden windy cold weather. I bought mine on post-season discount and the price was very reasonable. Often clothing and gear are available for much less during holiday and post-season sales or gently used on gear swap or eBay.

There are times I’d take my 5 oz Golite Reed rain pants instead (same weight as the Minimus Pants). For winter skiing and snowshoeing I wear more durable softshell pants.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Go with the dance pants. I’ve had a pair for 2-3 years and they’re still in good shape. They function very nicely.

Ryan

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I don’t go out much in the warm weather I guess I’m much more winter oriented Paul

Understood. But I am not sure that applies to the OP’s question and frame of reference. ;)

Personally, I love all four seasons and would hate to limit myself to one. I will say this is the opposite spin for most (I don’t like winter!) but the same theory applies. :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools