Topic

Wide Sleep Pad Users: Mummy or Rectangular?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wide Sleep Pad Users: Mummy or Rectangular?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

If you like to walk on the wide side, please scroll down to the next post

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Wide sleep pad users (24-25 in. wide), would you recommend a mummy shape or rectangular, especially when coupling pads?

A wide mummy that tapers at the bottom has the advantage of a slight weight savings plus making possible the use of shelters with a narrower foot end (especially when folding over some of the wide top section for a pillow). However it will leave a gap between the leg sections when coupling two pads, which will be felt more in winter (I’ve noticed that the Xtherm Large mummy stays wide for quite a length before tapering, which means it shouldn’t leave much of a gap at the torso).

Rectangular wide pads will leave a much smaller gap for the full length, at the expense of a slight increase in weight (Xtherm Max rectangular wide is 23 oz while the Large wide mummy is 20 oz and I’ve read both often come in under weight).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I appreciate the width from top to toe. No help with coupling the pads.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

I pack an XTherm wide mummy. ‘Twas really a compromise – guilt for the extra 4 oz that a Long/Wide cost me over a Regular, vs redemption for not going for the 7 extra ounces of the rectangular. No regrets – as a side-sleeper, I’m definitely more comfortable on the wide, particularly given the edge collapse this mattress is known for, and it’s doesn’t take much effort to keep aligned in order for my feet to stay on the pad. If I had to do it over, I’d do the same again.

Can’t help you on the coupled part.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Rectangular is much better for coupled pads.  I didn’t find that mummy pads had an appreciable weight savings over their rectangular brethren.  Mummy seems more psychological than anything to me… they assure you that you have trimmed off any excess parts, which lets some people sleep better at night.

In terms of tapered tents, I haven’t noticed an issue… or with smashing too big of a pad into a little too small of a spot in general.  The fabric flexes a little, the pads smash a little and role up a bit, and probably the marketers lied a bit about how wide that pad really is.  The first few times I ran the numbers and got concerned when the pads I was bringing was wider than the floor of the tent. But, it never was a problem for me.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I currently have a mummy shaped one and wished I went with the rectangular.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

And I had a rectangular that didn’t fit in my shelter well and wished I had gotten the mummy, which I did.

Form follows function — If your shelter allows the space for it, and you want to couple pads, and you don’t mind the small weight penalty for doing so, then go rectangular. If you’re solo and want to shave every ounce, and certainly if your shelter tapers where the pad corners would be, then go mummy.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

We have 2 women’s Neoairs permanently coupled.

The gap at the foot end has never been a problem. We use a double quilt (Zpacks or EE Accomplice depending on season); if you use a double quilt with a narrower foot it might be different. I’ve sometimes wished the pad were wider at the top, but not at the bottom. It leaves a little space for storing gear.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Are the black pads part of the permanent attachment?

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I have a slight preference for rectangular. I have both a wide Xlite (mummy) and a wide Xtherm Max (rectangular).  Some of it is that I like to sprawl my feet. Some of it is aesthetic (i like the straight lines of the pad to line up with the straight lines of the tent, yeah I’m like that)

I would really like Thermarest to make a wide rectangular Xlite (not the one with the weird inflation).

The mummy has the advantage of fitting into my bivy nicely.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

“Are the black pads part of the permanent attachment?”

No. I don’t remember now why they were in the photo. We use them in winter to boost the warmth, though.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thanks Ken, Gumbo, Ben, Ian, JR, William and Katherine.

t’s interesting seeing everyone’s approach. JR I’d agree it’s partly a function of the type of shelter you use and whether or not you couple pads and winter camp. In winter we definitely found rectangular pads side by side warmer than mummy pads, those not all mummy pads are equal in this regard. The Xtherm wide mummies have a good-size length before tapering starts, while some other mummy pads taper sharply from the shoulder. William you did an amazing job attaching those pads.

For us I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s even more a function of how we sleep. After stretching for the first 5 minutes at night, as a side sleeper I can deal with a narrower foot end. The Ms. is a champion sprawler. The extra space means a better night’s sleep and a happier camper. The weight increase from wide mummy to wide rectangular is minimal – the main compromise is that it limits shelter choice a bit.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’d lean towards mummy to at least save some weight.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

If you move your feet around at all when you sleep then go rectangular. With a mummy you’ll end up with your feet off it quite a bit. It’s really all about how much you move around when you sleep.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools