Topic

Who uses neoprene socks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Who uses neoprene socks?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I am thinking of getting some neoprene socks for wearing in the snow with my trail runners (Altra Superiors). I am hoping for a bit of a vapor barrier effect, some waterproofing, and some warmth. I tried on a few pair the other day at Backcountry, but most didn’t seem like they fit so well. The most comfortable ones I tried were the NRS 1.5mm Hydroskins. Does anyone have any recommendations of comfortable neoprene socks (or other type that would accomplish similar results)? I am hoping to get by with my current trail runners, which are sized a half size above my normal street shoe size. I think that limits me to maybe 3mm max for comfort, preferably less. Thanks.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

+1 NRS 1.5mm Hydroskins for trail runners in the snow.

I have enough room in mine for a liner sock.  I also use gaiters with an instep cord to keep the snow out of the shoe when I plunge below the crust. Also cut off the cuff as it is to tight around my calves.

YMMV

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I’ve been meaning to try it out with some diving booties I have.  I know Eric Blumensaadt has for a while and he’ll probably chime in.  He uses 3mm diving booties.  I don’t think the exact model is available anymore though and 3mm would probably require you to size up in your trail runners.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Neoprene socks add a lot of warmth to your feet for their weight, and they feel comfortable. I have used them at times on several backpacking trips for snow travel, river crossings and for swimming in alpine lakes. They are especially nice for cold water crossings and alpine swimming, where unbearably cold feet are a limiting factor. The downsides include: 1) added weight (compared to VBL socks or an extra pair of regular socks), 2) the inability to dry the booties easily or quickly, and 3) compression of your feet in footwear due to how thick they are.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Regular socks lack the warmth per weight, water resistance, and mild vapor barrier effect I would think. I also tried vapor barrier socks. I had the RBH Designs ones. They never seemed like they fit quite right. The seams were obvious and they bunched in an uncomfortable manner. If there is another company making vapor barrier socks other than RBH Designs, Warmlite, and Rab (formerly Integral Designs) I’d like to know. The Integral Designs vapor barrier socks had even more of a bunching problem than the RBH ones did, and the Warmlite socks don’t seem much better. That’s kinda what steered me toward neoprene.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Dixie at Homemade Wanderlust really loves NRS Hydroskin 0.5 mm neoprene socks over long Darn Tough wool socks for hiking in snow with trail runners:

YouTube video

Bought a pair to try on my next cold wet trip.

— Rex

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I’ve used the NRS Titanium, they work great, and are the low sock style option, less weight when damp, quicker to dry. I didn’t feel the need to have my ankles covered as I already had gaiters for that. The seams are flat taped so not a problem and I also wear darn tough light wool underneath. Of course, you have to have shoes that are sized up to be reasonably comfortable.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Has anyone used neoprene socks with crocs for butt cold creek crossings?  Or for pulling a trail in crocs in the snow with alot of creek crossings?  Does cold water go down from the top of the socks and into the foot?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Reporting for comment.

I’ve used 3 mm closed cell divers’ socks for over 20 years as my VBL. They wear very well and the US Divers brand fits well B/C they are made in Left and Right foot shapes plus they are factory seam sealed.

The 3 mm thickness over thin polyester liner socks has always fitted well into my felt pacs, Scarpa T3 Tele ski boots and even my Merrill GTX hiking boots with no problems. I buy my Merrill boots to accommodate thicker hiking socks so that’s likely why they fit the diver’s socks.

BTW, wearing my Merrill GTX Moab Mid boots with the divers socks and knee high GTX gaiters has kept my feet warm down to 15 F. as long as I did not stay stationary for more than an hour.

I’ve experienced -22 F. with the divers’s socks in my Sorel felt pacs and never had cold feet after being outdoors for 5 hours!

You could extend the temperature range of boots with 5 mm thick divers’ socks but that would require larger (& wider) boots than you normally wear.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

I use them as camp shoes with a felted thermal insert. About the lightest camp “shoe that will hold up multiple trips. They double as a warmth layer in wet cold conditions in a none waterproof shoe. Compared to gortex sock they act as a vaper barrier as stated above ; so read about When that’s appropriate before using them in mild wet weather – where I prefer to use a gortex sock.

One other really interesting use I like – I’ll try to explain. I have a pair of foam snow shoes that provide increasingly insulation from the ground. However I prefer to use them with a running shoe (see Ryan jordons review). So what I’ve done is I bought a hugely oversized 14 and I cut the back down to the heel. I then slip it over my shoe to act as a snow and top insulation. This keeps my foot nice and airy inside the trail runner even in snoe shoing. The extra circulation to my foot and airspace gap is wonderful.  I weird use but really I think it works pretty cool.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

When backpacking and I know that I’ll do a number of creek crossings or walking in wet cold terrain and/or spending significant time wading while fishing I take .5mm hydroskins.  Alone, they are fine for creek crossings and short stints of wet walking (flooded paths/bogs).  However, if I’m going to spend significant time in water like when I wade in and out of alpine lakes when I fish, I put my wool hiking socks or liner (depending on how cold it is) under the socks and this very significantly enhances their warmth even though I am totally sumbmersing them.  However, when I wet wade when I am not backpacking……i opt for 3-3.5mm wading socks up to my knees.  I just prefer the .5mm hydroskins for the weight when backpacking.

Henry Thomas
    BPL Member

@hthomas

Just got in from snow removal the last 6 inches of a total accumulation of over 26 inches so far Twin Cities Minnesota. I put on darn tough wool socks roaster bags (courtesy of section hiker) NRS hydroskins and gortex la sportive  wildcat trail  runners and outdoor research crocodile gaiters.  Had to wade through deep snow spent over 2 hours removing snow and very surprised my feet were very warm and comfortable.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

There’s another thread active now (footwear in Alaska) where Philip T recommends a type I hadn’t hear of before. I have the Hydroskins (used once), but if I were going to need them a lot I’d upgrade to his suggestion.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools