Topic

Which Mobile Phone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Which Mobile Phone?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

The S-5 is basically falling apart so…..

Other than making the occasional call and texting I don’t really rely on my phone for much BUT

• I want a really good camera
    • I want Gaia
    • I want long battery life
    • I want to interface with the inreach mini

I guess you could say I want a combo gps/ camera and inreach connection that also happens to text and make phone calls.

What do you recommend? That’s also lite!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

iPhone SE.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

If you don’t want to learn a new operating system you may want to stick with Android. How big a deal is that to you?

Camera: video or stills? Are you ok with a fixed focal length, or do you want non-digital-zoom options (i.e., multi lens)?

Misc: waterproof without a case important? How much memory? Price limitations?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

^^Philip     How big a deal is that to you?     I’m open. The smaller i-phone batteries might be a concern

Camera: video or stills?   stills: Would be nice to get some decent res shots. Your recent trip across Kodiak had really high quality visuals. I know a mobile phone isn’t going to match that but it would be nice to get some decent/presentable shots. Short video clips are a great way to preserve a memory as well.

Are you ok with a fixed focal length, or do you want non-digital-zoom options (i.e., multi lens)?  I’m trying to take shots of landscapes. Trying to hold on to that vision. It helps sometimes framing the shot to zoom and the digital zoom is not the greatest. But like Harry Callahan said A man’s gotta know his (Camera’s) limitations. At a certain point to do really good shots it seems you’ve got to get a real telephoto paired with a nice slr but then it (the trip) becomes a whole different thing, at least for my old solo, gram weenie self . But catching the best image I can within the limits of a mobile phone is worth it $$

Misc: waterproof without a case important? How much memory? Price limitations?    Yes on the waterproof. On memory I need to store somewhat large Caltopo downloads but I can delete and reload map files and photos/videos. I currently have only @ 22 gb on the s-5. @9 on a card and @ 12 of 16 internal.

I’d also prefer to have as little bloat ware as possible. Avoiding all the crap running in the background and cranking up every time you turn on the device helps a lot with battery life. I currently fire up the inreach only 4 times a day to send progress – on schedule reports/messages and try to turn on the phone only for photos, when necessary to check position get a bearing on a waypoint with Gaia or send a ‘special’ message paired with the inreach.

BTW Thanks. Those are some good questions!

John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

i love my Black view 9800 pro. It has great battery life, awesome camera, gps reception and pairs well with my Garmin mini. Waterproof and pretty much bulletproof. Before that I used the Kyocera Duraforce Pro which now has an upgrade. Smaller battery life but otherwise ticks all the right boxes. 

Neither camera needs cases and are military/industrial grade phones. Not sexy but completely functional.

The Black view line has numerous choices with battery storage a the way up to 13000 mah.

I would look at that line if you want indestructible and perfect for the trail.

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Locale: New England, PNW, Northern India

I’d recommend the Pixel 4a 5g which has long battery life, costs around 350$, has one of the best cameras available.   Then also try caltopo, and locus maps along with Gaia.  peace

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools