Topic

where to go; where oh where to go….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning where to go; where oh where to go….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Thanks to so many of you GENEROUS BPL souls, I’m planning a trip with CharlieDog in july!

I have 10 days off (if I include weekends) and because this will be his first serious hike in YEARS, and first since his hip replacement, I’ll need to keep the terrain relatively easy/short miles (I think 10-12/day will be doable for him by July – easier the walking = more miles, more difficult terrain = fewer miles).  I also want to go by myself – just Chuckles and me.  I’ve never done a long trip alone and I think I’m ready.

It seems like southern CO and southern UT are all in acceptable driving distances from Austin – the Wind River Range is 20 hours away! so not sure I want to bite off that much driving – but that’s where I’d REALLY like to go.

I have too many choices – where should I go in the middle of July with a new-and-improved dog?

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

July in monsoon season in southern UT and CO,

Hot when it’s not raining and dangerous flash flooding in the canyons when it is raining. And UT canyon hikes are pretty rugged.

billy

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I’d vote for the Weminuche if you’ve never been.  Start in Durango or Silverton.  You can ride the train in.  The area has wonderful loops and is definitely scenic.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Does anyone know if dogs are allowed on that train?

never mind…that’s a no.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Wow Billy…nothing like being a little Debbie Downer there, eh?

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

“Wow Billy…nothing like being a little Debbie Downer there, eh?”

Jenn… take it as you wish, but this is not about up or down attitudes; rather, it’s important information to know. Many people die in flash floods in the canyons of southern Utah… and other four corners states. July and August is prime monsoon season. The time to go to that area is spring and fall… cooler temps and much less likely flash flooding. And the ‘trails’ are not what people in CA and CO think of as trails… most not groomed and very rugged hiking… could be hard on your Charlie Dog. This is information you need to know… nothing to do with positive or negative attitude….

billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

you might consider the <b>Uinta Mountains</b> in NE Utah… I’ve never been there, but there are some trip reports here on BPL… could search and read about

billy

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

The Ruby Mountains. Specifically, the Ruby Crest Trail.

No permits, no bears. No fire permits. “Just don’t set the forest on fire,” the ranger said. Beavers, eagles, pika, marmot, all kinds of trout, deer, and not so many hikers. Lots of history. When we went last July it was just about perfect. Didn’t see a mosquito. There were storms, but nothing horrible. There is a shuttle guy, Cowboy John, who is expensive but gets you to the trailhead so you can leave the car at the other end of the crest trail. He’ll give you lots of info on best restaurants, great places to see, etc. The trailhead on Harrison Pass is at the end of a horrible OHV road. John gets you to a gate just a mile from the trailhead. We camped right at the trailhead the night after the long drive from California.

Ruby Crest is about 32 miles of really nice high elevation backpacking without crowds of national parks, and totally off the beaten path. The trails are good, and the locals are friendly. And then there are other destinations one or two miles up short trails to other lakes, and still no permits needed to backpack them.

Yeah, it’s in Nevada, not UT or CO. But I’m going back again in September – the aspens are going to be awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backpacking-in-the-Ruby-Mountainsinfo/557500697663606?ref=hl

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I’m with Billy on the canyons.  They are great in spring and fall.  I think it would be a bit oppressive in July.

Jen, you don’t have to take the train into the Weminuche.  Plenty of people walk in from road access.  It’s just a convenient extra.  I highly recommend the area.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

+1 on Ben’s Weminuche suggestion and +1 on Billy’s comments. The Weminuche is a magical mountain wonderland of lakes and wildflowers later in July, and several fun easy peak scrambles in the area too. The section of CDT between Rio Grand Pyramid (the Window area) and the Silverton area is one of my favorite parts of the CO mountains for photography, and the trail is moderate, with no huge ups and downs (though it’s high in elevation). The hazards in July are afternoon lightning, mosquitoes and a few willows if you go off-trail.

In contrast, Southern CO and Southern UT (the lower elevations) are hot in July. Given the choice, I’d pick the mountains over the desert in July any time, saving the desert for Spring and Fall (cooler and safer season to explore the slots and canyons).

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

These are all great suggestions!  I did the CT last summer in July, and I absolutely loved the Weminuche area (and was very much thinking of doing this).

I’ll have to see how far of a drive the NV location is from Austin…that sounds WONDERFUL Lori!

and yes, I figured the canyons and whatnot would be too hot in July – I was kind of joking about Billy’s comments – that CO would be monsoon and UT would be dangerous…..but jokes kind of fall flat on the internt.  I should know that by now…

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’d suggest the North Kiabab Plateau in Northern Arizona. Elevations average 9000′ plus and the Arizona Trail runs right through it. Best kept secret in Arizona IMO. I’ve hiked a lot of the state, and it’s by far my favorite. The elevation means it’s cool in the hottest part of the Summer. The drive to the Plateau is long, so it doesn’t get a lot of visitors. You have to cross the Colorado River at Marble Canyon.

I love the Monsoon in Arizona. The lightening show is incredible. Just make sure you have a sturdy shelter. The Monsoon season usually runs from around July 1st to Sept 10th.

Pine Valley Mountain Wilderness in Southwest Utah is another good high elevation hike in the Summer. Located just a short distance Northwest of St George, Utah.The Wilderness in only 50,00 acres, but I highly recommend it. Great trails.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

OK.  Colorado it is.  I can drive to Durango, Lake City, Silverton, etc pretty easily.

If you had 6-7 days for hiking, say 60-80-ish miles (since this will be Charlie’s first long trip in YEARS…), and solo (so no car staging…any hitching/shuttling would have to be done with dog in tow – but a HANDSOME DOG!), what loops should I consider?

I REALLY liked the Weminuche area of my CT last summer – it was AMAZING.

Suggestions on guidebooks/maps for trip planning?  Charlie is going to LOVE it!

This will be mid-late July.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I don’t know if this is any help but Paul Magnanti’s blog has a section Backpacking Loops – Mags Favorites for Colorado, he would be a great resource, if he doesn’t get on this thread you couls PM him.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

do you have something to cover where his hair is still mostly missing? Pups get sunburned too!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

it’s finally growing back fast!

But don’t say anything to him – he’s still pretty sensitive about his naked butt.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools