Topic

Where to buy flys

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Where to buy flys

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Locale: phoenix

I am looking to expand my fly kit for the family JMT hike this summer.  I saw recommended flies on thru-hiker.com.  Here is his recommendations:

Adams
    Royal Wulff
    Yellow Humpy
    Sierra Bug
    *Elk Hair Caddis
    *High Sierra Hopper
    *Dave’s Hopper
    Bird’s Nest
    Pheasant Tail Nymph
    Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear
    Wolly Bugger

I have seen the Elk Hair Caddis, but I am having a tough time locating the other ones.  I live in AZ, not sure if some of the flies are specific to fly shops in the Sierra area.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

DancingBear
    BPL Member

@dancingbear

Locale: Central Indiana

A lot of these (just about all of them that don’t have “sierra” in the name) are pretty standard flies.  Any decent fly shop should have them.  You could order those from Cabela’s if you can’t find them locally.

For the Sierra-specific ones, try doing some searches online and see if you can find a picture at least.  Once you have that you can look for something similar: dry vs. wet, color and size.

Most backcountry fish I have encountered weren’t too fussy about an exact match – if it was about the right size and color as what was hatching (or what lives in the streams, in the case of wets and nymphs), and presented well, they would hit it.  “Presented well” is really the key, if the fly doesn’t drift right in the current it doesn’t matter how good of a match it is.

Good luck!

Walt

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Fishing Western or Tenkara?

eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Locale: phoenix

KT

I am using Tenkara.  My kids and wife will use a shakespeare rod with bungee bubble bobber.  They did not feel comfortable with the Tenkara rod.

Thanks

Eric
    <h1></h1>

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Here is some associated reading about Tenkara flies.

From Tenkara Bum

From Tenkara USA

And from BPL forum

I don’t think you need as many as you think you do.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

Check Etsy. I picked up some from Creekside Kebari. There are probably others by now.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

http://www.bigyflyco.com

They have a lot of flies at reasonable prices. Tenkarabum has a real good understanding of what is needed for Tenkara.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Wow, thanks for the link to BigY Fly Company!  Great business philosophy, and wonderful prices for those of us who don’t tie our own flies.  They offer a Tenkara fly in several sizes and colors, also.  What a find.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

“Wow, thanks for the link to BigY Fly Company!  Great business philosophy, and wonderful prices for those of us who don’t tie our own flies.  They offer a Tenkara fly in several sizes and colors, also.  What a find.”

Ditto. I just stocked up for the year. Thanks!

Scott Penman
    BPL Member

@scottpenman

Locale: Missouri-Colorado

I’d like to cast a vote in favor of the local fly shop!  You should really consider making your purchases at a fly shop near your destination. Nearly every successful fly fishing trip will include a stop but the local shop to gather some information.  They also often have locally tied patterns that are catching fish.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

My local fly shop does not have any Tenkara, anything. My local backpacking supply shop does though. Limited selection.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

“I’d like to cast a vote in favor of the local fly shop!”

Only if someone there fishes tenkara on a regular basis.  Otherwise all you’ll get is a bunch of “match the hatch” suggestions for that particular week, tailored to traditional western fly fishers.

DancingBear
    BPL Member

@dancingbear

Locale: Central Indiana

I’ll preface this by saying that I fish with traditional western fly techniques, and all I know about tenkara is what I have read on BPL.  But can’t you use western flies with a tenkara rig?  If not, isn’t it still useful to have some idea what size and color of flies simulate the local bugs so you can pick the appropriate equivalent tenkara fly?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Read the BPL thread I linked above.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

GM: “Otherwise all you’ll get is a bunch of “match the hatch” suggestions for that particular week, tailored to traditional western fly fishers.”

DB:”But can’t you use western flies with a tenkara rig?”

Wets and nymphys cross over very well. Dry #20, not so much.

A lot depends on how you fish.  I fish “fixed line”, using beadheads, tandem flys, and roll-on foam indicators. I’m much closer to western style nymphing al la Aaron Jasper to than to Dr. Ishigaki and a bushy reverse hackle #12.

But neither of these styles would do well with this offering

from the local fly shop catering to western rigs.  IMHO.

Scott Penman
    BPL Member

@scottpenman

Locale: Missouri-Colorado

All of the flies listed above are western flies. Difference in technique will not effect the quality of advice. In the majority of ways Tankara is not a radical departure from western fly fishing.  Not all shops will carry the rods and line but the rest of the equipment is interchangeable.

Scott W
    Spectator

@jswharton

This year’s purchases, all online and happy with quality

Western, Fly Shack, Feather Craft, Trout Beads

Tenkara, Tenkara Bum, Tenkara USA, DRAGONtail Tenkara

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Make sure to get some black Ants patterns. Did very well with a Tenkara rod and these a few summers back. Ants are a staple summer food for trout in the Sierra. Fish them in lakes and streams without any problems. I would suggest  size 12-18 maybe 4 of each. If you are just starting out you will lose some. Prepare for it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools