Topic

Where has the suffering gone??? : (

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Where has the suffering gone??? : (

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

The word to keep in mind is JUDGMENT in relation to SUFFERING.

and……

As you get older this will become more apparent!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well said, Ryan!

No such thing as fun sometimes, but suffering means dangerous to me.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I think the suffering has gone “been there, done that”.

This website and forums has been immensely helpful to me who, on my first solo CDT section hike, had a 50 lbs base weight plus food and water…75 lbs total to start.  And that did include a thermarest chair kit.

For a few hikes I got my kit below 10 lbs, but in the process discovered that an XL nearest lets me sleep, 3/8″ ensolite does not; a stove increases food variety at least 100% (hot and cold vs only hot) and allows me the daily joy of a hot cup of coffee; a bear cannister works also with the mice and ravens in grand canyon plus I always have a stool to sit on; etc.  So after going minimalist I’ve added back a few items that just make every trek comfortable.  My kit is now 15 lbs and I’ll leave it at that.

Suffering is not worth it.

William Moller
    BPL Member

@whmoller

Locale: Pikes Peak Region

Read most of the thread. Interesting. I too have seen the evolution of a number of folks like Ryan, for example.  Having had to suffer during military operations I have no desire to do so for pleasure. An elected suffering is just that, an election which can generally ended at will. Real suffering comes when there is no alternative but acceptance (i.e. you are coated in ice, and there is no warming fire or warmer clothes to put on, and others are relying on you to get them home). At that point “embracing the suck” means to set the suffering aside, and often with this setting aside comes a realization that you can do far more than you ever imagined. I can do it, but I have no interest in it anymore. Give me the heavier pack if it means avoiding pointless suffering.

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools