Topic

Where Exactly Should a Hip Belt Rest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Where Exactly Should a Hip Belt Rest

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

“I always thought the bone structure was mostly set in early adulthood, and would set the fit of a pack.”

Bone structure changes mightily with age. For women who give birth, their hips spread, lower leg bones get stronger, spines can do all sorts of things depending on the person, genetics, nutrition, habits. In the 50s and 60s, both sexes see spinal compression, herniated disks, and possibly osteoporosis. Fat accumulations also change location; picture the skinny old folks with large middles. As joints deteriorate people often overuse the opposite joint, which also messes with the spine. And feet – omg I’ve gone from size 8 women’s to 9.5 and next time I buy shoes I will also try 10s. Of course most older people need fewer calories, so it’s easier to gain weight if you don’t change your diet. Star that sentence twice for menopausal women.  That is the worst part for me about moving into my older years – becoming that woman who exclaims gleefully over a piece of lettuce, asking for just a squirt of lemon juice on it, while the rest of the table is gnoshing on big juicy hamburgers. Thanks nature! Thanks a lot.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I’ve gone from size 8 women’s to 9.5 and next time I buy shoes I will also try 10s.
    Both Sue and I went through that years ago. 10 4E now. Bodies DO change.

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools