Topic

What's your winter tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking What's your winter tent?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I’m having a serious look at the Hilleberg Nammatj-GT

Like my Minaret but stronger and with that huge storm proof vestibule for cooking an gear prep in

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I ended springing for a vestibule for my Firstlight- should be handy for cooking

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

@mtwarden I’d like to fit a 3.5in long/wide pad in a Firstlight and I’m your height – think it would be doable with a size long winter bag? I’ve noticed length becomes more of an issue with a thicker pad when my khufu is staked tight to the ground.

Would you say the Firstlight handles condensation especially well due to the non-waterproof fabric? How about compared to a mid staked to the ground/dug in underneath?

On another note: I wonder how effective a snow skirt is on ‘mids for spindrift?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the Firstlight is plenty roomy for that setup- it’s a tight two person tent, a very roomy one person shelter

I’ve had very little in the way of condensation issues with mine- I do try to keep it vented slightly at both ends.  I’ve never had much in the way of condensation issues with mids either though.  It’s possible that is a function of drier, cold air that I experience here????

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Luckily I have both a winterized TT Moment DW and a TT Scarp 2. And the Scarp 2 can fit 3 if they sleep head-to-toe. And both tents have two doors and vestibules, a real plus in winter.

Mike, I agree adding a vestibule to your tent makes it a much batter winter tent. I’ve cooked in the vestibule of a TNF Tadpole (definitely NOT a winter tent!) in over 2 ft of snow. I dug out the vestibule area so I could sit in the tent and cook in the vestibule – with good venting.

wildernessed
    BPL Member

@wildernessed

Locale: East Slope North Cascades

Currently using a BD Firstlight but picked up a Big Sky Glacier Extreme brand new from a friend for 200.00 last month (double wall, fabric, external clip on poles, 3lb. 8 oz. with stakes).

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

wildernessed,

I looked at the Big Sky Glacier Extreme. Not a very good winter design, IMHO.

1. fly & door open to let snow come right down inside the tent floor
    2. virtually no vestibule space for storage and storm cooking

Either of these are, for me, a deal breaker. I have experienced both in a Jan Sport wedge tent and hated it.

John F
    Spectator

@johnfreeborg

Stumbled into a local deal on a brand new, 1 month old TNF Mountain 25 with tags still on it for a song.

My planned use is for snowshoe and skiing with DIY pulk in the UP along lake superior (weight isn’t that much concern with the pulk).  Targeting 2nd half of Feb this year.

Further rationalized it for fly fishing car camping trips on shoulder seasons in various locations.  Brule River in late March again this year is already on the calendar.  Maybe some Montana & Wyoming fly fishing in early spring, late fall, and winter.  Basically anywhere I don’t feel confident in my MSR Hubba Hubba NX warm weather tent.

Robert n
    BPL Member

@bobbydneuman

That sounds great, I made a hot tent but we just don’t get the snow like we did when I  was a kid, love fly fishing too. My next project though is to make my own wall tent, already have all the canvas, and I  saw a fairly easy one to make on you tube, 10 x12. Have fun pulling that Polk though, if there is ice with snow over it you’ll have it kind of rough going up hill. Cheers-

Robert n
    BPL Member

@bobbydneuman

I don’t know if this is the correct area to make this post, I’m surely not trying to offend anyone! I am looking for plans or drawings so I  can make a canvas wall tent. If someone  can steer me in the right direction.  I have plenty of canvas and plenty of boiled linseed oil, turpentine,  and about 2 lbs of beeswax. Enough for the whole tent, now if I  can find someone that has access to blue prints or drawings I would be much appreciative thanks

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Hardly Ultralight Robert. Better check out the Winter Trekkers site for that sort of tent info

I can tell you from personal experience tho that waxing a deep winter tent is a very bad idea Very very bad indeed, although if it was  a short walled tent waxing the first 300mm off the ground would work.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I am having a serious look at this Helsport tent

http://www.helsport.no/lofoten-x-trem-camp

A bit bigger than needed for a solo tent but good for 2-Up and would squeeze 3 at a pinch

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Looks VERY similar to one one two Hilleberg tents, doesn’t it?

Cheers

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Shared heritage naturally

This particular tent is really LW for what if offers tho.

Besides it has both <span style=”color: #ff0000;”>Red</span> and<span style=”color: #ffff00;”> Yellow</span>

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

The Helsport  “Tunneltent” looks good but they could use much narrower webbing & thus smaller buckles to save some weight with no loss in necessary strength.

I’m going to assume that the inner tent can be left attached to the fly for fast set-up, and to keep it dry in bad weather.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

they could use much narrower webbing & thus smaller buckles to save some weight with no loss in necessary strength.
    Funny how some designers have these blind spots.

On the other hand, really small stuff can be a bit fiddly to adjust when there’s a sub-zero gale blowing and you are wearing big mitts (and shivering). Trade-off.

Cheers

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Robert N. Re shelter out of canvas.  You could try some of the many bushcraft sites.  I know I have seen reference to waxed canvas and oil cloth shelters. See for example Dave Canterbury. See also http://tentsmiths.com/egyptian-cotton-tents/egyptian-cotton-snow-walker.html

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Like Roger says, I’ve used small webbing and buckles before and I find that 25mm and bigger much easier when cold and wet and tired and that is worth carrying the minimal extra mass

Chris C
    BPL Member

@tiramisu

@moondog55

I mulled over Helsport, Fjallraven, and Exped tents but decided to go with Hilleberg due to the ease of setting up (we usually pitch our tents in the dark and often under inclement weather conditions; strength as seen in various youtube videos; extra bits such as mesh inner tents and various tent pegs, and lifetime customer support since my son will inherit all my gear.

The Helsport Lofoten (4.46 kg) is comparable to the Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT (4.0 kg). The Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT (3.1 kg) or 4 GT (3.6 kg) has a more versatile extended vestibule but the Black Label line is hardier.

The outer tent for the Lofoten has nice long flaps that would be great in the snow; however, if there is no snow, would you want these flaps? Does the inner tent always go up separately? Did you check youtube to see how others fared with the tents you are considering? How is the customer support in your hometown and in the areas that you intend to camp? Do you need to consider the resale value of your tent?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Well as a dedicated winter tent i have always considered valances mandatory and I would add them if they were not there and have done so in the past.

And I have always only really considered integral pitch tents as winter suitable and i don’t think I would purchase any other type. As the tent I am looking to buy would be used in a different country local support would be irrelevant and resale value is not an issue;  if it survives my bucket list trip it gets used here until it dies. Why would I buy a tent and then even consider selling it? I would hope that my research was such that I bought the correct tent and it is why I ask so many questions and take so much time. The Lofoten is a little too big for a solo trip but is good for 2-up and it weighs substantially less than the tent it will replace, as would either of the comparable Hilleberg etc

It comes down to a cost/benefit analysis if I could get the Lofoten at a better price than the Hilleberg or vice-versa

Chris C
    BPL Member

@tiramisu

I was under the impression that your search for a winter tent was for a specific once-in-a-lifetime trip. I stand corrected and am glad that you would continue with winter camping especially since you’ve been doing tons of researching. I end up doing more inclement weather camping than fair weather camping so I have no philosophical problems shelling out more $$ to be well-protected. I don’t always make the “perfect” purchase the first time around but I am alive to talk about it. I’m completely intrigued to find out what you end up with.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Perhaps I should have made it clear in my first post that while this was a once in a lifetime trip I am comfortable in cold weather and snow and would continue to use the tent for ski touring until my legs fail me. But as these are major purchases I buy a tent only every ten years or so and things change so rapidly. For winter i am happy to go a little heavier as I have other tents for use in the wet water seasons/summer

Chris C
    BPL Member

@tiramisu

Could your kids and wife gift you your choice of tent for your birthday/father’s day/Christmas? I made that trade off with my son–robust camp gear instead of inconsequential presents for the both of us.

Ben Pearre
    BPL Member

@fugue137

Here’s my own list for winter:

• Warm! Not only does this save some sleeping bag weight, but (far more important) it increases the range of weather in which the condensation point is moved outside of your sleeping bag, meaning a much lighter and drier and warmer bag on day 2+. So probably a double-wall tent.
    • Vestibule (or 2)! I don’t get the wedge tents. Where do you put your boots/gaiters/etc? Don’t you get snow into the tent every time you open the door? If the weather is bad, where do you cook?
    • Easy pitching in a blizzard.
    • Possible to cook in in a blizzard. I believe that this means that at least the vestibule should not be Cuben, since that has a very low melting point.
    • High ventilation, both in blizzards and in windless snowfall: your vents should not get blocked by a foot or two of snow.

The most perfectly designed and built tent I’ve ever used is my Hilleberg Kaitum 3. But it’s almost 8 lbs! :( The Caffin Coffin promised to save a vast amount of weight, but afaik it is dead for all but skilled MYOGers.

What meets those criteria but is BPL-compatible?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I have to agree with Ben’s points – except for calling our winter palace a ‘coffin’. :) We find it quite roomy, really. But sadly I have not found anyone to take it into production yet.

The point about Cuben melting in a vestibule is one I had not considered. Um. Nylon and especially silnylon has a very high melting point.

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools