Topic

What’s your winter tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking What’s your winter tent?

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

Curiously, while I have read 2 stories about the Soulo being wiped out by heavy winds, I’ve never read any such stories about the Unna.

It might just be that people bring the Soulo into much more challenging situations than those to which the Unna is taken. But I think that there might be another reason. While extremely stout, the Soulo has a static design. Yet unlike larger dome tents, the strength of its static structure is somewhat limited by the small oblong shape. The Unna on the other hand has a lot more innate flexibility in the single point cross design. When I had an Unna, I never encountered really strong winds, but even under moderate wind loads it handles differently from the Soulo. The Unna sort of dances around while the Soulo just hunkers down. Somewhat like a tunnel design, perhaps the Unna’s inherent flexibility makes it more able to withstand severe deformation without catastrophic failure. Or perhaps not.

Both the Unna and the Soulo are designed to take double poling. If one knows one may be going into some really gnarly conditions, that might be a wise choice.

The Djedi of course is much lighter. It also has a rather nice lightweight vestibule as an option, but it is not closed off to spindrift.

By the way, that Saivo looks indestructible. But yeah, the Kaitum or the Nammatj would be a lot more livable and relatively lighter.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Speaking of wedge tents, the Marmot Hammer 2 looks like a screaming good deal for a single wall with vestibule on sale in the US at $259,99. Don’t know anything about the field performance of the fabric used but the weight is respectable, the design looks good, and the sale price is unbeatable.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Had to chime in here.. as I just recently scored a great deal on a Bibler Eldorado with 2 doors, in near new condition. Yes for BPL standards it is HEAVY and Bulky, but for using it when the miles will be low.. 4 – 5 miles tops and hitting some elevation in the Catskills or Adirondacks.. to pack it in and make camp before a good storm hits.. ride it out a day or 2 and then snow shoe out.. its a go to for me. Odds are most of my winter trips I will be using my Hilight 3P tent, as I LOVE that both sides open 100% for magnificent views, and there is so much room inside that I wouldn’t mind living in there for multiple days/nights if needed. But if I can make my timing right and I get a nice snow storm with heavy winds, I may consider bringing the Eldorado.. supposed to get plenty of rain this week, some winds and possibly snow showers towards end of the week, so I am leaving it pitched in my yard for the week of mixed weather and see how she fares. I imagine it will need to be seam sealed, though I have absolutely NO intention of using it in the rain at all.. and I would have sealed it today to let it sit a few days, but rain is coming tonight and over next 3 days, then i catch a windy day with sun, and then maybe some snow.. so no good to seal it now.. but I will get to see how it holds up as is. Believe it or not, quite a few people have never seen or even knew bibler made a 2 door Eldorado.. and I do believe they are far and few and hard to find.. here are a few pictures of it pitched. I used 3mm Lawson Glowire with Clam Cleat line locs..

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Looks really nice. The yellow color would be cheery if storm bound. I remember that Todd Tex isn’t very breathable but when I used it 20+ years ago that didn’t matter because the scrim on the inside holds moisture vapor well.

Do you need the screen doors?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Most likely do not need screen doors as no bug presence in winter. They could be useful from preventing snow blowing in if I wanted doors open (half way).  Definitely not a deal breaker though..

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

No, definitely not a deal breaker. I’d be tempted to cut out the screens and remove the zips. Could save 4-6 ounces on two doors.

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

Unless you have a vestibule over the door – I do wish I had a screen door/window in my Djedi to deal with blowing snow. I like to keep the door open to help with condensation and if there is spindrift that just blows in and melts. Just my two cents but worth the 4-6oz.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Exactly.. definitely worth 4 or 6 ounces having the screens.. in my opinion too. Blowing snow.. the screen does help.. no screen.. it blows directly in.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

If it were made of monolite or something that really blocks spindrift I could see that. But screens don’t do much to block the very fine crystal spindrift I’m familiar with.

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

Jon – agree it depends on the material. But the screen in my BD firstlite and even Zpacks tents blocks snow better than no screen.

obviously to each their own!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

my case.. here is my Black Diamond Hilight 2P tent. I was able to keep that back window half way open.. perhaps say.. 3/4 of the way.. and absolutely no snow got blown into my tent. Had that screen not been there,  I imagine all of that snow and ice you see there most likely would have ended up on top of me and my gear inside the tent.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

(thumbsup)

Nice. Alas, the mesh on my BD EPIC Lighthouse didn’t work as good as that.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

SOLO WINTER TENT-> Tarptent Moment DW W/Xing Pole shortened 6″ and run under the fly

2 PERSON WINTER TENT-> Tarptent Scarp 2 W/2 Xing Poles run under the fly (see old article this forum)

Both tents have stood up very well to heavy winter storms. Like any tent, in a heavy snow storm you have to get out and shovel snow away  from the walls to keep the walls from pressing inward and reducing floor space.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Oval Intention Tent

Back in the 70’s I purchased a North Face Oval Intention tent for the family when the three boy were small. It is a double wall tent (a main canopy and rainfly) designed to withstand high winds in mountaineering use but works equally as well for summer camping trips and travel. The Ring Oval is considered to be the first true geodesic backpacking tent based upon the concepts of American architect Buckminster Fuller. While being HEAVY to today’s pack weight standards, back then it was not an issue,  and  truly a “bomb proof” tent for space and wind. The big issue I had with the tent was the waterproofness of the rain fly as it was replaced by North Face twice after many leaking issues without cost.

Features:

– 1.9 ounce ripstop nylon canopy and rain fly. (big issue with leaking!!)

– 2.8 ounce urethane coated nylon taffeta floor and sidewalls.

– 6 Upgraded Easton aluminum alloy poles.

– The large, circular entrance and 2 windows have zippered panels to seal the tent. Each with bug netting.

– Free standing & Easy to pitch

Weight: ~9Lbs

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

AOLO-> Tarptent Moment DW with Xing pole shortened 5″ and run inside the fly. Double sided Velcro cable wraps are shortened and sewn inside the fly at the centerline where the Xing-pole exterior strap reinforcements are located. These Velcro straps encircle the Xing pole to hold it in place in extreme winds &/or snow load.

2 MAN-> Tarptent SCARP 2, again with the two closing poles cut down and run inside the fly using the former exterior pole end sockets sewn above the inverted V carbon fiber “Pitch Loc” struts and 2 its of Velcro straps sewn on for Xing pole stability in high winds.

Well staked out at ALL points including fly hems this setup is very strong and greatly reduces tent deformation and flapping in winds. Both tents have two doors/two vestibules which ae very handy, in winter especially.

Not for winter BUT my 3 season TT Notch Li (Dyneema) solo tent will handle a snow storm if necessary and that’s why I got it instead of the AEON. (See article on the AEON’s failure in a snow storm, experienced  by our founder.)

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

To follow this n Phil’s comment above, even though I now call Florida home, I am still holding on to me Seek Outside LBO hot tent. I used it a bunch in Maine, and I keep it because there is nothing quite like a wood stove for dealing with cold temps, condensation, wet snow, etc.  Highly recommended!

Scott F.
    BPL Member

@sfeuerenvironmentalforesight-com-2

Locale: West Coast & Sierra Nevada

Hyperlite Ultamid 2 for winter snow camping is my choice.  Floorless makes for customized snow bench seating inside tent.  Easy step-up and very storm worthy.

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools