Topic

What to do with dehydrated beans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition What to do with dehydrated beans

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I’ve cooked with home dehydrated kidney beans before, which are the staple for my vegetarian chili. I generally do cook them first as part of a bigger meal. They rehydrate really well, but only if you chop them up first. I usually do freezer bag cooking, and they’re soft enough for me. Chickpeas when made into hummus rehydrate 100%, although they need an obscene amount of water to really rehydrate. Lentils don’t rehydrate that well and remain a bit crunchy, but it’s not too bothersome to me.

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

Call me a heathen but I over cook them and dehydrate them and just eat them crunchy. (without rehydrating)   I actually look forward to a bag of crunchy three bean chili. It’s tasty.

Pinto beans and baked beans seem to work out fine.  Black eyed pea’s are tasty but chew like gravel.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Lol.. Like eating fish aqarium gravel..

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Roger. Thanks for posting that soup meal. I made it a little differently.. Used a packet of white miso soup powder (with scallion, mushroom and tofu), added 3 tablespoons dried mixed veggies and 3 tablespoons dried peas and a hand Full of baby Bella mushrooms.. Also used Udon noodles. I guess it’s a little different from yours, but without your posting it, I never would have made it!!!  The Jarlsberg low-fat swiss cheese chunks is KEY!!!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Photos!

You could also try tomato soup plus sun-dried tomatoes, but be warned the olive oil CREEPS out of containers! Double-bag on top.

Cheers

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

so here is my photo, lol. I’m at work so I decided to make that soup, this time I added 1 tablespoon of coconut powder.. I then added cold water and let it all soak for about 3 – 4 hours.. Then added more water and heated it all up real quick.. Just to a simmer.. Took it off heat , covered and let sit 5 more minutes.. Mmm mmm mmm tasty it is!!

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools