Topic

What stakes for winter camping?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking What stakes for winter camping?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt W
    Spectator

@will1e

New to winter camping.  Bought a single wall tepee for hot tenting as well as regular winter tenting without a stove.  Wondering what tent stakes work best in winter assuming the ground will for surely be frozen but not sure if there will be snow or not?

I would assume if there is snow, i can just make some deadmen with branches or whatnot.  Are needle style stakes sufficient and can be easily pounded into frozen earth?

R
    Spectator

@autox

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I emailed Dave and Amy Freeman a while ago with the same question (they did a year long trip in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota…it gets cold there in the winter)…They used an 8 man Seek Outside tipi and used titanium nail stakes.  He said they worked well in frozen ground.

Unfortunately I accidentally deleted his email back to me, but I think he also said that they tied extra cordage loops onto the already existing loops to make them easier to find and pull out.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Aluminium will bond to ice overnight. Then you have the devil of a problem getting Al stakes out in the morning and getting the ice off them for packing. Plus, they bend easily while you are either (or both) trying to get them into frozen ground or back out.

Titanium metal does not bond to ice much at all, and it is very hard in comparison. Ti wires and larger Ti stakes can be driven into frozen ground (and soft rock) with no damage. See
    https://backpackinglight.com/make_your_own_gear_titanium_snow_stakes/
    https://backpackinglight.com/myog_ti_snow_stakes_part_2/
    For more info and some ideas.

I tie long silnylon streamers to my Ti snow pegs so I can see them in the morning. That helps, weighs ~0 g.

(The yellow string is waxed Spectra fishing line, 200 lb?. The Al pop-rivets prevent fraying on the edges of the holes, which has happened! The Ti loop-hook is for the guy rope.)

Cheers

Matt W
    Spectator

@will1e

Sounds like Ti needle stakes are the way to go…guess it’s time to research which ones to get.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Matt,

The Freemans used the Ti Nail stakes not the Ti needle stakes, although you can try both.  Here is an example of a Nail stake:

https://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-nail-peg.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools