Topic

What Sealant to Patch Hydrapak Seeker Water Bottle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What Sealant to Patch Hydrapak Seeker Water Bottle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have a pin hole leak in my new Seeker 2L water bottle.

Anyone have any idea of what sealant I can use to repair it?

The water bottle has only been out on 2 short trips.

For an emergency repair, I tried to use a drop or two of super glue, which only worked for a short time.

I have filed a claim with Hydrapak for a replacement, but wondering if there is a way to save the bottle.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated….especially with those who have actually done a repair on this bottle.

Thanks.

Tony

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Aquaseal

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Tony….May I suggest the following options below as I bet they will send you a new one:

HYDRAPAK CUSTOMER SERVICE

https://hydrapak.com/support/warranty/

Contact Info

6605 San Leandro Street
    Oakland, CA 94621

510-632-8318

Rodger Bradford@customer service

[email protected]
    Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM PST

Shipping

We ship orders within 24 hours on Monday – Friday, excluding federal holidays within the United States. Holidays include: Martin Luther King Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.

Most orders ship via the US Postal service. You will receive an email with tracking when your order ships.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I don’t have a lot of faith in the hydrapak bottles. I had a 3L spring a pinhole leak for no apparent reason. Just developed a pinhole leak. I ‘fixed’ it with a bit of windshield sealant, but I haven’t used it since and don’t plan on using it. I went back to the platy 3L bladders – never had one spring a leak. Pay for shipping Tony and I’ll send you my hydrapak 3L bladder.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Seam Grip also works.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@Ken Larson…..thanks for all the information….I actually filed a claim with them shortly before I posted.

With any luck, a replacement will come shortly….the cheapskate in me was curious to see if there might be a way to save the bottle that I have….seems a shame to throw it away, if it can be patched.

Mine leaked while on a desert hike, so I would want a new one for a critical trip like that in the future.

@Ken
    T & Michael….will give it a shot and see if it will hold

@Doug
    ….you are a generous man. However, I actually have the 3L and 2L….so I am good. Humm, a little concerning that yours also developed a pinhole leak too. Love the Platypus, but using the BeFree filter, the Seeker Bottles are perfect for that…..have to keep on eye on the Seeker Bottles to see how they hold up over the long haul. Thanks again for the offer, but I am good….love the BPL community.

Tony

Ian Clark
    BPL Member

@chindits

Locale: Cntrl ROMO

I’ve been using two of these 2L all summer. Probably only 20-30 days in the field. Typically used half filled and stored in my pack’s lower side pocket. Last week I discovered a pin hole in one near the top. This week I found s pinhole in the other one.

Damn shame as they were perfect for my needs: light, holds more water then I need, compressible, quiet material and great for hot water bottles in the foot of the sleeping bag. However as I backpack into the winter, I don’t need wet gear especially with water bottles inside a sleeping bag at night. If anyone knows if they have found a solution to their material/design problem please let us know. I would give them a second chance during the summer months.

Ian Clark
    BPL Member

@chindits

Locale: Cntrl ROMO

Just an update. My patch attempt failed so I exercised the warranty. Make sure you take a picture of the leak before you start the warranty page because at the end they will ask you to attach a picture of the leak. I didn’t get any acknowledgement that they received the warranty request. About a week later just before I submitted another request I received the warranty replacement. Patching is a noble effort in disposable society. However,  the new seeker 2L feels to be a thicker material and weighs 13 g heavier then my old ones. Hopefully a more durable product. Too bad I bought 4 of the old style ones at the same time. My old ones have a gray band around a black cap and the bladder is gray. The new ones have a infantry blue band around a gray cap and a much darker bladder with a measuring scale on the side. We could be below zero at night next month, so I might gamble on the new design and see if my gear stays dry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools