Topic

What is the best sleeping pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is the best sleeping pad?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Locale: Toronto, Ontario

Hi Guys,

I need to get a new sleeping pad and I was hoping to get recommendations from you.

I have a pad from Pacific Outdoor Equipment but it started deflating itself. I put a couple of patches on it but it helped only somewhat. Maybe it just got old and weak? Although I didn’t use it that much. Do pads have some limited time span due to the materials getting weak/porous?

I tried to get in touch with the company but I guess they are not in business anymore. Does anyone know what has happened to them?

Unfortunately I got the leaking problem once on a trail. Interestingly my husband had a problem with his Exped Synmat UL 7 as well. It blew a couple of internal baffles on maybe 1/3 of the sleeping pad’s length. The sleeping pad does stay inflated but there is now this uncomfortable bump. So my husband will need a new sleeping pad as well.

I think that after this experience from now on, I will always worry about any future accidents like that. Especially that the POE pad had a leak that was hard to find even when submerged under water. That makes me even more nervous. What good does a repair kit do if I cannot find the leak. The other option is a foam pad but they are not comfortable, are they? Maybe a combination of the two?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I find the Outdoor Gear Lab comparisons to be very helpful – they explain the various types of pads as well as testing them and giving recommendations.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, the coatings can wear off over time, leaving an inflatable with what appears to be a slow leak. It is actually an increase in general air loss pretty much across the entire surface, not really a leak. This happens between 200-300 nights on it on good ground or on a tent floor. If you do a lot of sandy camping, this will be near the low end. If you sleep on forest duff, mostly, figure the upper end.

CCF pads are reliable in the sense that they cannot spring a leak. Nor do they wear out very fast. But, after 300 nights out you will definitely be able to measure some degradation. I have had an old army surplus one for thirty years, though…still in fair to good shape. But, a 3/8″ or 1/2″ nominal pad cannot compare with a 2.5″ of inflatable for comfort, or, for maximum R value.

Way back, I had designed a laminated pad. This was made with three layers of 1/8″ CCF and two webbed 1/4″ layers. This came out to about 7/8″-1″ and should be very light for the R value. Note that it should be right around a R3+ and 9-10oz for a full size pad (20″x72″.) But, it is a HUGE roll.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

anything made by thermarest for the best warranty

theres been folks here who have sent in decade old pads that started leaking/delaminating …. asked for a fix … and thermarest sent em a new pad

are they the “best” pads? …. thats debatable but they are pretty darn good …

do they have the best warranty? … damn right they do

;)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Contact Exped for warranty as well.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Pacific Outdoor Equipment is out of business.

I haven’t found a brand that has a solid reputation for mat longevity but as you can see from the comments above some are well known for a better back up.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

You live in Toronto, so get thee to MEC and get some store assistance to discuss your needs.

You will end up happy, for sure. Their warranties (mfgr and store) are ironclad.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I once gathered up four Therma-rests with slow leaks that I just could not repair and sent them to T-Rest.  They sent me four equivalent “new” (factory irregular) pads as free replacements.  I currently use either and NeoAir Xlite or Xtherm and love them both.

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

In my experience finding leaks in pads requires a bath (or largest water tub) and

warm water

(as hot as you can get it and still put your hands in). This heats up the air in the pad and should then highlight the very fine holes in the pad.

I have found tiny holes in my Exped Synmat UL 7S this way; ones I couldn’t find in cold water. Since patching those holes the pad has continued to serve me well.

I did have the baffle blow out with the previous pad; Exped replaced it, no questions asked.

That said I am considering a Sea to Summit Ultralight as my next map due to the further reduction in weight and packed size.

Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Locale: Toronto, Ontario

Thank you Everyone,

I have not finished my research yet but I think that I am leaning towards THERM-A-REST NEOAIR XTHERM. They used to have 4 different lengths but now they have only 2 sizes. I would love the 25 inches wide one but it is quite long (77 inches). I am 5”6’ and 180 lbs. (although I am planning on losing 30 lbs.). I am a side sleeper and mostly I curl up so probably 66 inches would be enough but they do not make it any more as it is not on their website. Then there is the rectangular XTherm as well but I am not sure if is it worthwhile.

There is no agreement whether the pad is slippery in a tent and noisy or not. I think that the reviews I read are split on it.

Another thing I was wondering is it’s 5.6 R value. It is great for when it gets colder but is it going to be too hot in summer, especially in a hot and humid environment?

And last thing: Should I get some sort of backup should the pad fail and I am not able to repair it while on trail? I am thinking of caring additional foam pad. Maybe something like this one http://gossamergear.com/nightlight-sleeping-pad-torso-length.html ? Before the leaking incident I never really thought about leaky pad but now I might be paranoid about it.

What do you guys think about the backup idea? Does anyone do it? I know that it is extra weight but I could use it as a seat too. Should I bother?

If anyone could chime in on the above points or anything else regarding this pad it would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

To me the answer is not a single brand or model but the pad that provides the best nights sleep for the weight and conditions experienced.  I have tried the Neoair XLites before finally realising that I slept best on a wide pad and moved to the Thermarest Trekker Torso pad. I took a small weight hit but it was well worth it for the better night’s sleep.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I too am a huge fan of the Neoair Trekker Torso because of its 25″ width; I find DES (Dangling Elbow Syndrome) absolutely maddening. The 47″ length is enough for me (5’9″) to get ample support down to the knees and I always wedge my pack under my feet, which works for me. I also prefer it with minimal inflation to get the best support, so the drop-off for my feet ends up being very small.

Not sure if the OP is “into” this, but it is possible to cut an air mat to shorten it and re-seal it with an iron. There is a well known YouTube video on how to go about this, and I have used this very process successfully a couple of times, and the air mats have plenty of nights on them subsequently (about 40) with no problems. However, I can totally understand that there might be some reluctance to slice into a brand-new $200 air mat.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools