Topic

what gives? Patagonia mid-weight capilene

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what gives? Patagonia mid-weight capilene

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I use one of the newer lightweight Capilene base layers and have for years used their Cap 4/Thermal weight/other name as both a base layer in cold weather and a mid-layer in warmer weather.

When I looked up the Mid-Weight layer I thought it was a typo 4.4 oz/yard 6.7 oz for the crew; the Thermal weight 3.4 oz/yard 5.2 oz for the crew

the Lightweight is you would expect- lightweight 2.3 oz/ crew weighs 3.5 oz

all are grid patterns

that doesn’t really jive????

Christopher Palmer
    BPL Member

@ctpalmer

Locale: North Georgia

The thermal weight has more space between the grids than the midweight which might account for the lighter weight I would guess.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

hmmmmm-  funny that the Cap lightweight, Thermal weight and R-1 all follow a rather predictive outcome- all grid patterns, just different fabric weights- the lightest is the coolest, the heaviest the warmest, the one in between- well, in between

and then……… there is the Mid-weight- it’s heavier than the Thermal weight, but not as warm

when I get a cake, I prefer to eat said cake :)  I think I’ll skip the Mid-weight

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools