Topic

What fabric for a neck gaiter / buff?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What fabric for a neck gaiter / buff?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

If you use neck gaiters/buffs, what fabric seems to work best ? Is wicking moisture the most important feature? Is there an alternative to polyester that has stretch in it?

I am asking because I would like to try and make a few and maybe sell them on my website .

Thank you.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

I’ve only worn them for warmth, so I’ve never really thought about wicking for them.  One I have is a TurtleFur fleece but I’ve not used that one in a long time.  Then there are a few buffs that are stretchy thin knit, like the soft, not the shiny, t-shirt material.  I suppose maybe they wick but they fit loosely and I usually think of wicking with respect to garments that conform more closely to the skin.  I’ve been wearing these thin ones lately for warmth in the mountains (Colorado, Alaska, New Mexico) this summer, and they’ve helped, and are a lot lighter than the fleece.  Not sure if this is technical enough to help with your question though.  Another unrelated thought–the little lightweight stretchy buffs are starting to be a common “schwag” item so I don’t know how that would affect your market.  I now have them from REI Adventures, Brooks, and a health insurance company.

I tried to visit your web site from the link in your profile, but it seems to have changed and is no longer a live link.  Can you post a new link so we can see what you have?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hi Mina,

thanks for the info. I have had many requests from customers for camo buffs so I thought I should look into it. Always looking for the next little product …:)

here is the live link:

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/mountaingoatgear/mountaingoat-hats-goods-store/

note that I no longer knit hats for sale. My hands cannot handle that type of wear and tear for a dollar an hour…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Stretch polyester and wool lead the pack (Buff brand offers both). Fleece ones have been made also. My wife just bought a beautiful crocheted wool version at a county fair. Ones that are a bit larger than the current Buff offerings would be nice. That “one size fits all” thing has all the accuracy of recent presidential press conferences ;) Search on “neck gaiter” too. Watch out for copyrights trademarks, and other intellectual property rights as well.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I mostly use the polyester buff as a headband for sweat, less frequently on my neck and sometimes pulled up over my ears for sun/bug protection. I have a merino wool buff that’s only been used once, because I live in the southeast and don’t really need it. I could see fleece buffs as a great piece of kit in colder climates and hunting season. I could have seen us using camo buffs in the 70’s, when I use to duck hunt a lot. Very versatile piece of gear.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks William, that is useful imformation.

Dale, I appreciate your input . Definitively a good idea to look into copy rights and intellectual property.

I no longer knit hats but I may start sewing basic merino beanies, which are just a basic pattern.

The mesh sleeves are still selling well and I will continue to make them but at some point everyone will have a set :) so I better get things lined up for a couple new products. If you guys can think of something let me know.

Here are a few ideas I am mulling over:

Neck gaiters, sewed merino beanies, lightweight sleeves to drop reflectix cozies into, wrist warmers, different sizes of no seeum bags ( easy to see what is in them through the fabric). I know none of these things are new but at least I am starting to think about it.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

You could see if people still want the fine-mesh light headnets like what BPL/Peter Vacco used to offer.  Lighter and more see-through than the Sea to Summit ones.  Here is a thread about headnets:  https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/best-headnet/

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks Mina.

Peter is a good friend of mine and we have talked about his headnets before . He might still make them again some day in the future. He also found out some company in China started making his headnets, just not quite as nice, and they even copied his label and packaging….

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I use my Buff mostly as a pillow cover at night.  Stretchiness is key!  Do folks use their buff as a garment while moving, or static?

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

I have the original Buff, the Coolmax Buff, and the lightweight merino Buff.  From a comfort standpoint, I like the lightweight (not regular weight) Merino.  It provides some warmth in the winter but frankly, I find it to be cooler and much more breathable in the summer than the synthetics.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I use merino wool buff for winter use as its way warmer (depending on thickness) but not as cumbersome as fleece. Polyester randoms for summer use. Stretch would be nice as would the ability to soak up moisture/water so can be used to wipe down tarp/tent from condensation along with quick drying rather than carrying a separate towel.

I have found my merino buff has stretched out significantly more than the coolmax/polyester neck gaiters.

For winter I use neck gaiters as extra warmth for head as I only use hoods and no hats. Summer use is purely for sweat and hair management (all you with long hair would understand!). Any kind of dual use is helpful.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Seems like merino knit fabric is not easy to find. I am now thinking not just neck gaiters but beanies as well. I will be ordering several pieces of fabric and try messing around a bit. If I still have your attention….what do you think is the best online store for the type of fabrics that we are talking about in this thread? When I look at large online stores that sell Everything I don’t see enough information on each type of fabric.

Thanks!

John W
    BPL Member

@john-the-outdoorsman

I prefer thin polyester as one and only piece for year-round use, hot and cold.

Fleece is good for cold if you are okay with owning several garments. Power Stretch seems to be the most effective in terms of warmth per weight.

But… if your down jacket has a good nice neck collar, you will probably be okay with that thin polyester buff. If not, the fleece buff will still not 100% make up for it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve used regular old 200 weight fleece, eg. http://www.owfinc.com/Fleece-200/products/238/

I usually just get it from the local fabric store

Both neck gaiter and hat

The fabric is stretchier in one direction than the other.  Make sure the stretchy direction goes around your head, or around you neck.

Although, maybe the less stretchy direction should go around?

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Kat, I only wear merino or lambswool buffs – but I’m a natural fibers guy generally. Less stretchy is a good idea, though there ought to be some stretch to get it over one’s head. Maybe work in some alpaca or even cashmere for super comfort. As a highly satisfied past customer I look forward to your new line.

Richard

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would like to see warmer weather buffs made out of a blend of nylon and tencel.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I still have my original TurtleFur neck gaiter with the toggle to turn it into a beanie, always a tad on the small side so it sits in my box of spares

I always thought that a double layer one with different colours and patterns on opposite side would have sold, so fleece on one side and something bright and slinky on the other?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I prefer the fleece (ala Turtle Fur) neck gaiters. Warm and relatively windproof. Wind is a concern when skiing or in a windy area. It can suck out the heat quickly from a too-permeable fabric.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools