Topic

Best headnet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best headnet

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello.  I’m looking for a headnet and was not able to find any recent threads here.  I did find that MLD, Simblissity, and Sea to Summitt make different models.  Does anyone have experience with these, or opinions on other models?

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=66

http://www.simblissity.net/ultralight-mosquito-headnet.htm

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Mosquito+Head+Net&o1=0&o2=0&o3=143

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Hey Sean,

I believe the gold standard for a while was Peter Vacco headnets, which are no longer available.  The simblissity headnet is actually Peter Vacco’s design, but they no longer sell them either.

I am almost certain many people will recommend the Sea to Summit. Personally i use a cheapo from Big 5 (1oz) because i tend to do a lot of bush whacking and they get snagged by branches. I have actually had good luck with them, even with snags they have lasted years.

The MLD looks interesting.

Ben

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I like the Insect Shield headnet – not sure who makes it. I am all about Insect Shield, BugsOff, etc. clothing. I also have a handful of cheapos – I always have a couple in my pack here in Alaska.  As was stated earlier, it’s easy to tear them up when bushwhacking.

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Locale: SF Bay Area

I’ve had several headnets, but only one of the ones you listed. 2 cheapos and the S2S. They have all kept the bugs at bay, but the S2S is the only one I have kept, primarily because it has a nice charcoal color which ,for me, was more pleasing to look out thru. It’s also very thin and thus lighter and more compact. The cheaper ones had a more coarse, thicker mesh and were greenish in color which I didn’t like.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I just got 2 of the normal S2S ones after losing my main Simblissity one (aka Peter’s) this past summer. It appears it will be not quite as breathable as the one I lost which was the more open version, but more breathable than the tighter version I still have, which I don’t like for the reduced visibility. Hard to beat at $10 though I haven’t gotten to use it yet (I had tried it on at REI last fall to see if it would be suitable).

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

I have the S2S Insect Shield head net.  No complaints, it works fine, except I can’t eat and drink through it. :P

I plan at some point to try using some spare 0.5 oz/yd noseeum net to sew and attach a minimal head net directly to the under-rim of my sombrero.

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

Also depends where you are hiking and how small the smallest biting bugs are. Not all mesh has the same quantity of holes per square inch, meaning some will let the smallest bugs through. I’ve heard here in Europe that the S2S headnet is more for mosquitos and it will allow midges through. I think no-see-um netting is fine for even the smallest bugs.

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

Another vote for the Sea to Summit Mosquito Headnet. Works a treat here in Australia where we are known for one or two flies :)  I also like it as it fits nicely over my bicycle helmet; comes in handy when I am climbing so slow I cannot out ride the flies :)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools