Topic

Western mountaineering face masks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Western mountaineering face masks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kona
    BPL Member

@kcsupertramp

Locale: San Diego

Hello BPL and hope this is the proper place to post this.

Just wondering if anybody has tried the Western mountaineering face masks and if so are they comfortable and do the job. The website says they are 3 in by 8 in is that correct?

I bought some of the HMG face masks. As usual well-made and I like the material but they just didn’t fit me correctly.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers Kona

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Haven’t tried the WM ones. The HMG masks don’t provide much coverage, I think they are too narrow. We are using the OR Mask now and they are excellent, I talk about it a little on the latest episode of the podcast, around the 28-minute mark.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I also use the OR masks, I find them excellent also, although I may be biased since my wife helps to make them

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

I have not tried the Western Mountain face masks.  But other backpacking gear vendors are offering good masks in my opinion.  I just re-ordered some from Hammock Gear.  Only $7; light weight, good breathability, and reasonably comfortable.  Delivery was quick.  I have no affiliation other than a long time customer.

Kona
    BPL Member

@kcsupertramp

Locale: San Diego

Thanks for chiming in Ryan,Link and Victor. I completely agree that the HMG masks are way too narrow and don’t give you the necessary coverage.

I certainly don’t think your bias Link when it’s something your wife made.

I listened to the podcast, thanks Ryan.

The OR masks look really nice. Being almost 6 and 1/2 in tall and 9 and 1/2 in wide with a filter. That’s the coverage that is needed.

I will take a look at hammock gear offerings as well.

Thanks Kona

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I’ve been using the HMG masks and they fit me really well.  Actually, they fit my entire family really well.  Obviously the shape of your face will have some effect on the efficacy of coverage.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

A tight nose bridge is essential.

Do any of these pass the “no fog on glasses” test?

If not, breath out = virus in.

Just wondering …

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

My wife wears her OR mask with her glasses no problem with fogging, the nose piece is mold able to fit your nose.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools