Topic

Weightless Chairback Idea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Weightless Chairback Idea

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mary M
    BPL Member

@marymmmm

using items I’m backpacking with: homemade tyvek (or similar) rain skirt (30″x48″ or similar size), thermorest z-seat, 2 telescoping hiking poles (or 2 heavy sticks).

fold skirt in half (15″ wide) and tuck under thermorest z-seat.  place poles in corner of skirt (with reinforced pockets) see sketch below.

Thoughts? 

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

How is this really different than having two sticks poking you in the back? The fabric panel does not provide support. It just positions the the two things jabbing you.

Mary M
    BPL Member

@marymmmm

the idea would be the poles would hold the edges of the fabric taught, and your back would be supported by the fabric only which forms a curve (catenary action).  might give it a trial using a heavy trash bag to see if it even works.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Philip, i think Mary is trying to accomplish similar as this (Litesmith QwickBack chair):

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It looks like it might work well. Try it out!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Kifaru field chair

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s an interesting idea, and good multi-use repurposing.  If you use Tyvek (i’m assuming Homewrap? 1443R “kite” tyvek would not be good), make sure you reinforce the pole pockets well. Homewrap isn’t particularly strong for it’s weight and it’s abrasion and puncture resistance is moderate, rather than excellent (compared to something like 40D silnylon which is a similar weight).  Also, keep it out of the sun, because many forms of Tyvek are very susceptible to UV damage.

One reservation i have, is that using a non air permeable fabric (like Tyvek, silnylon, cuben, etc) for the back will tend to feel uncomfortable, especially on a warmer day. Breathable/air porous fabric would be definitely more comfortable in those conditions.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

The narrow back looks as if might be uncomfortable but in actual use it might be just fine.

The Litesmith website doesn’t have reviews — and also indicates it is currently out of stock — and I did not find any reviews with a moderate amount of googling. A brief thread on Hammock forum but no follow-up review.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I did a diy version of the Kifaru/Jerry chair. Just was too fiddly for me in use, and not all that comfortable. It is a cheap and easy project. Try it and decide for yourself.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

If I take my “modern” UL gear it is easy to keep my base weight around 8-9 lbs for a 3 season kit, using this backpack.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Still liking my thermarest UL trekker chair. Bit of a squeeze getting a neoair in, but it works great. 4oz worth carrying.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I thought that model weighed a lot more, Rog – or did you come up with a lighter MYOG version?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools