Topic

Weather Forecast Summer 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Weather Forecast Summer 2019

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Phillip M
    BPL Member

@phil-ak

As with any extended forecast your mileage my vary.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1

Phillip Martin
    Crew Adviser
    721-Halibut

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

So, about average temps and a little above average rain.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@michael73

Our crew leaves next Tuesday and hits the trail on Thursday. I’m more concerned that Philmont posted recent drone video on their Facebook page from just a couple weeks ago that shows there’s still snow on Baldy. I don’t think our boys are prepared for what might be cold conditions…40s at night, yes but colder than that, doubt it.

Anyone with mid-June Philmont experience have thoughts on whether should be a real concerns or how to handle?

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I saw that picture, too, and shared it with our crew.  We start 7/28, so it should be warmer, but could be wetter.

I don’t have experience, so I guess they’ll need to take heavier long underwear and more socks.  Take a puffy.

Here are some cheap options from Backcountry.

https://www.geartrade.com/clothing/mens-clothing/mens-jackets/mens-down-jackets/?&seller=backcountry&sort=pLow

chris whitmoyer
    BPL Member

@crwhit

I camped at Copper Park on the north side of Baldy in 2007. There was still snow in the shadow areas that got no sun. At night, we had temps in the 20s.  Frozen water bottles suck. I was glad I had long underwear to sleep in as I only had a 40* sleeping bag. 2011 found me in the same camp but it was warmer. I saw pictures on the Philmont Facebook pages of a dozer plowing 3 feet of snow off the road to Cyphers Mine. I am thinking it might be cold up on Comanche Peak when we get there around 7/1. I am taking a 20* bag this year.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

We’ve stayed in Copper Park and on Mt Phillips several times and they get water bottle freezing cold at night in July. We all carry 20° bags (comfortable down to about 30°).

We are usually in camp by noon and able to complete camp duties, cook and eat before dark-thirty when it starts getting cold. When it gets cold, we get in our sleeping bags “for a long winter’s nap” as we rise and start hiking before dawn.

I don’t carry long underwear, just a light fleece sweater, long pants for the Conservation Project, horse rides, branding and blacksmithing and rain gear. If I get cold in my 20° bag, I add layers, just wearing socks makes a big difference.

Bring at least one of your water bottles into your tent, or even your sleeping bag, on those freezing nights.

“Philmont should be enjoyed, not endured.” Moonshine

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools