Topic

Water in the desert

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Water in the desert

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rosario O
    BPL Member

@prohibition76

Hey guys new to this site and have been backpacking for about two years now with my wife and two kids ages 9 and 6…

We haven’t been on any cross-country hikes as you can imagine with the younger kids but we average a five or six mile hike. So far we have only camped in places that have a water source and I bring my my filter along with a 10 liter msr Dromedary bag.

This time we are going to Joshua Tree. It’s in the desert of Southern California and there won’t be any water sources in the backcountry hiking. We will all have lightweight water bottles or Camelback hydration packs but obviously I need to bring more water.

I have 2 Ten liter dromedary msr packs. Max weight is 20lbs filled. Our my backpack is roughly 35lbs (as I carry some of my 6 year olds stuff… Sleeping bag and food. He carries his water, snacks and a few other small things)

I am planning to hike as little as possible and minimum requirement for Joshua tree is 1 mile off the road and then 500 feet from the trail. Staying for 2 nights. The weather is perfect this time of year so it’s not desert hot.

Any experience in this area is appreciated. Best practices for carrying the extra water weight…good back country camping spots in JT that are not too far of a hike (close to rock formations)

Thanks.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Hike early and hike late.  Spend the day time in the shade reading, playing games (“Spot It” is a great one for those ages through adult – the regular version is compact but there’s an even smaller travel deck):

and napping.  It’s worth the weight to bring a tarp (Walmart has a 5′ x 7′ tarp with grommets for $9.95 – about 11 ounces):

and some light cordage to make solid shade over a picnic table or patch of ground.

Bring extra gallon jugs of water ($1.29 at the grocery store) and have them in the car trunk.  Maybe the family hikes in and, if needed, a parent does another round trip to schlep in more water.

Or just bring one in each hand.  8 pounds in each hand isn’t bad – and often is a lot more comfortable than another 16 pounds in your pack that already has a lot of water weight in it.

Camel up before you leave the trailhead.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I’ve been trying to figure out a similar trip with my boys (also 9 and 6).  Caching or taking multiple trips seems like the only thing that will work.  I certainly don’t want to be in a situation where my kids don’t have enough to drink.  In Joshua tree, even if you did find water you are not allowed to drink it.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I have a great spot for you: look up Pine City, I just stayed there last week.  About 1.1 miles off the dirt road and it is a pretty flat trek to get there.  The area is surrounded by large boulders so there is a lot of shade available.  In fact, there are enough boulders that it hides other backpackers and it will seem pretty remote.  1.1 is short enough to easily hike back and bring out a 2 1/2 gallon water jug.

Also, with dry camping, you don’t need to bring out dehydrated/freeze dried food as the weight advantages tends to be moot.  You can bring fresh meat, fruits and veggies.  Have fun

Rosario O
    BPL Member

@prohibition76

That’s great! That confirmed it because I just came across pine City last night and that’s what I am planning to do. So probably no need for an additional sun tarp? Because videos I saw on youtube all had plenty of shade.

Thanks all for the feedback

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I recently did Joshua tree with the family.  I recommend no cook.  Also, no need to carry dehydrated food if you’re going to carry the water anyway.  Take fresh fruit as a water replacement.

We had a great experience camping in Joshua Tree.  At sunset, the coyotes and rabbits got active.  We awoke to hummingbirds buzzing our heads.

Have fun.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

” Also, no need to carry dehydrated food if you’re going to carry the water anyway.”

take beer : )

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

I wasn’t going to say it, but Jerry isn’t wrong.

Rosario O
    BPL Member

@prohibition76

Nice I already have two flasks of Woodford reserve filled up :) it’s lighter than a 6 pack and doesn’t have to stay cold to enjoy.

Thanks again guys

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Good call.  They make it just up the road from me.  Solid choice among bourbons for sure.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

All gear should be multi-purpose.  Beer has carbs and calories in that water does not.  It was called “liquid bread” in the middle ages.  Comes in conveniently-sized, lightweight, 12-ounce aluminum containers.

>Also, no need to carry dehydrated food if you’re going to carry the water anyway.

Yeah, take a frozen lasagna and some aluminum foil.  Heat it up in a  site-built reflector oven.  Yes, there’s water-weight in the prepared lasagna, but you’d add that water (that you had to carry in) to any dinner item anyway.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

site built reflector oven – aluminum foil doesn’t way hardly anything

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

We did our very first family backpacking trip in Joshua Tree in November. Our kids are 12 and 7. My wife and I lugged water. I carried two gallons, one in each hand. Since this was our first family I trip, I wanted to make sure my wife and kids were comfortable and we had plenty of water. Having the water offered a psychological boost too.  I also splurged with food since I had plenty of it  for cooking and for cleanup and plenty to drink the next day. I made Brussels sprouts, potatoes and hot dogs for dinner and pancakes for breakfast.

We hiked on the Boy Scout Trail (beginning from the interior of the park) and camped too close to the road (we thought we were about a mile but we’re not even close, so said the park volunteer who gave me a tongue lashing the next day).  Lots of rocks to scramble on along that trail. If you do any car camping there, I highly recommend Jumbo Rocks. Your kids will love it.

Feel free PM me for JTree info. I know the park fairly well.

Michael

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Depending what time of year you go, it can be really super cold at night. I went to a retreat in Joshua Tree and camped out and it was so cold my water froze inside my tent. It was end of February last year. Probably a lot more comfortable at night in May.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools