Topic

Want to see wildlife? Point Reyes!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Want to see wildlife? Point Reyes!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

With our daughter visiting from Europe, we thought it might be fun to get out of the house and do a little hiking near our Napa home. And Point Reyes was the destination of the day.

We had no idea it would be so successful.

The day was sparkling clear, and we could see the coast to south far beyond San Francisco, and to the west both North and South Farallon Islands were plain as day. And even though it was December, it was almost warm in the sun!

And then we started to see the wildlife.

First a herd of elk. Then another. Then a third. Then a herd of deer. The elephant seals on the beach–not just a few, but there were elephant seals on every beach we could see. And then more elk. And the we saw the coyote…hunting. And three more after that.

It reminded us of our wonderful visit to Yellowstone last summer, except that this was about an hour’s drive from our house.

We will definitely be going back more often!

Here’s a link to all the photos of the day: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dTnx1h8QLhQYJVuz6

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The elk have been so successful there that it’s causing issues (especially with the ranchers who’ve been allowed to stay at the National Seashore far too long, IMO).

I love that the elephant seals’ range has expanded so much.  50 years ago, they were only at Ano Neuvo and then for the last 40 years, you needed reservations on Ticketron to go look at them there.  That’ll increasingly be a conflict with beach goers as the elephant seals haul out on more and more places.

I’ve also seen bobcats on the trails there.  And racoons and skunks, of course.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Let us not forget the river otters and the badgers.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

There are also mountain lions at Point Reyes. Rarely seen but they are there. I’ve always loved Point Reyes, and agree – time for the ranchers to go.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

We have also seen foxes and far number of bird species.

The raccoons are pretty bold there. Several years ago I accidentally left an apple in my pack rather that putting it in the food box. In the middle of the night I noticed something had pull my pack almost 1/2 the way out from underneath our golite hex. I pulled the pack back. We tugged it back and forth until I put my foot through shoulder strap which limited how far it could be dragged and went back to sleep.  It was only in the morning that I discovered the apple.

Not wildlife, but our kids also loved seeing domesticated horses on the trail.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I went kayak camping in Tomales Bay over Thanksgiving.  We saw lots of seals, Elk, and deer.  In our camp, we were visited by raccoons and a juvenile coyote.  Be sure to drop by Hogs Bay to pick up clams, mussels and oysters!

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Sounds like a real treat.  It’s been 45 years since I lived in the Bay Area and visited Pt. Reyes.  Looks like the critters have come (or are coming) home.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Fell deeply in love with PORE (inside joke) when I worked and lived there for a summer, after visiting and backpacking regularly for the previous 37 years.

Made a video for work with some of the highlights. The shot with a tule elk bugling was from my front yard. Watch through the closing credits – a coyote howled while I shot that sunset at Drakes Estero.

YouTube video

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

More PORE wildlife stories:

A long time ago I was the only backpacker at Coast Camp, which had simple swing-top trash cans back then. But the raccoons knew how to get in and out – bang, crash, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak – starting about midnight, and every half-hour or so after that.

I finally got up and took the top off the trash can, so the raccoons could get what they were getting anyway, and I could get some sleep. NPS put in varmint-resistant trash containers a few years later.

=====

While backpacking along Coast Trail, I kept hearing a weird “whoosh” from time to time. After reaching a section overlooking the Pacific Ocean, I watched in awe as a large pod of whales slowly passed by close to shore. The lighthouse is very popular for whale watching during certain times of the year; but this was in Drakes Bay in the “wrong” season. Pretty surprising.

=====

On another trip, an old dirt ranch road passed along a steep shrub-covered slope. Suddenly I heard this ruckus and a bobcat landed in the middle of the trail roughly 10 feet in front of me. For about a second we looked at each other in complete surprise, then the cat bolted off back into the bushes.

=====

Elephant seals are taking over more beaches around Drakes Bay, often packed together in what seems like one smelly, bellowing, wriggling mass. In one or two places, you can legally get within spitting distance. Amazing to see, thrilling to watch them come back from near-extinction.

— Rex

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Thanks for all the photos and stories of Point Reyes. I used to spend winters in Santa Rosa, and got out there quite a bit, so beautiful, even in wicked weather! I would surprise my brother by going into the water even mid winter. We especially loved Abbott’s lagoon. Wish I could afford to live even remotely close.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

The guy in the film says “pro-Mont’-ories.” Too bad no one corrected him before the film! Nonetheless, a nice little video. I’m astounded how much foot traffic Pt Reyes is getting now compared to 1990s. We used to be out there alone much of the time, or mostly alone. I guess I’ll keep appreciating my chilly but peaceful little corner of the world while I still can.

Scott F.
    BPL Member

@sfeuerenvironmentalforesight-com-2

Locale: West Coast & Sierra Nevada

Fun hearing about all the wildlife stories at this awesome place.  I just returned yesterday from a 3-day backpacking trip at Point Reyes National Seashore and was treated to an hour an a half “National Geographic” style episode of a healthy coyote feeding on a deer he chased down the canyon into the surf.  The deer drowned and the healthy coyote returned for his kill.  We had front row seats just yards away!  Amazing place indeed.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Wow, wild story about the coyote and the deer!

Rex – btw thanks for your rec’s about PORE, our trip last spring was a 10/10.

Another location that is great for wildlife, but perhaps under the radar, is Wind Cave National Park. Like Point Reyes, it’s set up well for easy backpacking. What’s unique is no one is there! Everyone goes to the cave for a quick tour and moves on, or drives through Custer State Park to the north.

Since the park was protected early on for the cave below, the landscape above saw limited ranching, and no cultivation. The native flora was protected and wildlife proliferated: bison, elk, mountain lions and the usual cast of prairie characters. One morning I saw bison, elk, mule deer and a few turkeys all grazing in one meadow at the same time. I can’t recall seeing those animals in numbers, all in one view before.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A real “circle of life” moment with the coyote!

I’ve often headed out to the lighthouse to whale watch on Superbowl Sunday – it’s during their migration and feeding in the area, and the roads, parking, and trails are mostly empty.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools