Topic

Wanderlust Nomad Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wanderlust Nomad Tent

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I am not finding out a lot of information about this tent on the web, other than it was from 10-15 years ago.  Several people seem to like them.  I am considering getting one for use in the southwest, primarily as a shelter for the rain.  Bugs typically are not that much of a problem when I am out and about.

Opinions, recommendations, scathing criticisms?

thanks, Matt

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Do a search here and there are quite a few posts. Gearswap threads have pics and specs. Lightheart  Gear makes an updated version.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Actually I did a search of
    WANDERLUST NOMAD TENT site:backpackinglight.com
    came up with about 25 hits, mostly FS threads and passing mentions of the tent, as well as the lightheart gear making a new version as you mentioned.  Not much if anything from actual users, or real reviews.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Pretty small sales numbers from way back. I saw one on the Lost Coast in 2007. The only one I ever saw. Never had one at a GGG. Not surprised you aren’t finding much. I wonder how many were sold?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I could be wrong but as far as I know Kurt Russell was the only one at Wanderlust so yes there are only so many shelters one person can put together.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

PM sent

Brian Horst
    BPL Member

@bh23

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I have one of the early versions with the velcro door. It’s practically unusable anymore though. The nylon is stretched out so it won’t pitch taut any longer, the corners where the pole handles go are mostly worn through, and the pole tip protector at the peak is no longer attached. It served me well for a while, but now it’s just a fun piece of history to own.

IMHO there have been a lot of significant improvements made to current shelters designs that make them more wind-worthy, durable, liveable, and less condensation prone. My TT Notch has seen significantly more nights than the Nomad Wanderlust ever did. The Notch doesn’t really show any signs of wear, whereas my Nomad is essentially useless. The corner where the pole handles go in the Nomad sees a lot of abuse since the floor fabric is being pressed between the handles and the ground. I mostly backpack in the mid-Atlantic. I imagine your soil in southwest could be a lot more abrasive that ours, which would make that problem even worse than what I experienced.

If you can get it for real cheap, don’t think you’ll be using it all that often, or like the nostalgic aspect of using one of the first silnylon shelters out there, it might be worth it. But as a long term user of one, I personally would spend my money on other options.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Thank you Brian for the detailed response.  This is the sort of answer I thought someone on this forum could provide.  Based on this, I think I will hold off on buying this shelter.  While the nostalgia factor would be cool, I think it would wear off pretty quickly.

thanks, Matt

ij395
    BPL Member

@lablab-2

I bought one here a few months ago and tried it last week, it’s in great shape without any issue.

Wanderlust Nomad Lite

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools