Topic

WAG Bags for Poop Packing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues WAG Bags for Poop Packing

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

This has come up before, but there is now a growing consensus among scientists and wilderness managers that cat holes aren’t worth shit, so to speak, and that we campers need to be the solution by packing out our waste. The number of campers has exploded over the past couple of decades, and the problem of fecal overload and contamination went into overdrive during the pandemic. At Mt. Whitney, one of the areas that requires packing it out, rangers report that campers to that one small area packed out over 8,ooo lbs. of poop last year. And it’s not the TP that is the issue, the problem is the feces loaded with human drug-resistant bacteria, viruses, hormones and pharmaceuticals.

Bottom line: packing it out is the only way to truly follow LNT principles.

“WAG” (Waste Alleviation and Gelling) bags are now required in a growing number of locations and available for free at even more. WAG bags include toilet paper, hand sanitizer and special double plastic bags with chemical crystals that render human waste inert and minimize odor. Best practice is to go directly into them.

I know y’all hate the thought of packing it out, but I am consoled by the thought that people disliking them and requiring WAG use will likely reduce the number of people in wilderness areas.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have been using them for years in places where they are recommended or requirement such as Lassen and Shasta in winter and the Whitney zone in summer.  I find they are quite convenient for trips up to 4 or 5 days.  With some planning and careful packaging, the used WAG bag can be carried without incident outside the pack.  During our Scout snow camping outings even the young Scouts get used to using them in winter.

The main downsides I have seen is 1) in the Whitney Zone folks just leave them on the ground expecting someone else to carry them out 2) there needs to be signed bins at the TH for and education about their proper disposal. Folks who  are dutifully carrying them out are pitching them in the regular trash or into the US Forest Service vault toilets at the trailhead.

If the land management agencies start requiring them for areas that require weeks rather than days in the backcountry, I would posit that the use of WAG bags could create more problems than they solve.

Ken Kaneshiro
    BPL Member

@oniramon

Locale: Oahu

Are the Wag bags single use?  If you are on a multi-day trek, do you keep them in an odor proof bag?  I don’t think you would put them in your food canister, but do we need to keep them protected from critters too?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Single use, definitely. The chemical crystals reduce odor, the double bag locks it in. Everything I’ve read so far says to carry the WAGs on the outside of your pack, definitely not near food. Haven’t seen anything on critter protections, but also haven’t seen anything about bear-proofing them. Which surprised me a bit, since I would have expected a comment one way or the other, at least. Maybe it’s a total non-issue to those in the know.

On the other hand, given that the after effects of a critter attack would be unpleasant and difficult to remedy, my plan is to hang the WAGs with my now illegal 2 oz sierra bear hang rig overnight, and where there are no trees to cache it. Which presents its own issues. Like, putting it under a bunch of heavy rocks seems to invite disaster. Large cat hole bridged with a large rock, and more rocks on top?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

WAG bags are usually required in slot canyons.  One problem is that if you leave them out, crows tend to think that they are food containers and will tear into them.  Been there, experienced that: first hand.  Not pleasant.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

RE: Single use.

I have found one bag will work OK for two days. But with the caveat that I am out in the winter where everything freezes.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Not only is this is going to be a rad new category on spreadsheets, I look forward to the forthcoming research on backpacking food weights pre vs. post digestion…

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Jon: slot canyons – that makes total sense. The same thing basically applies to river travel, winter camping, alpine camping, beaches, desert washes subject to flash flooding, etc., even in areas of low use. Burying anything in such conditions means it’s likely going to be exposed and hazardous, not to mention displeasing. Using WAGs is kind of a drag for sure. On the other hand, when I went camping in the Sierras during the 60’s the entire range was very low use. Maybe a few hundred people camping during an entire season. We all drank straight from running water and boiled water from lakes if there was no creek. There were no filters, Steripens, Aqua Mira. We carried iodine pills just in case there was only a questionable source and no way to boil it. I have to wonder if everyone had always used WAGs we might still have safe water up there. And with WAGs, perhaps again in the future.

Craig, you crack me up man. Hadn’t considered the pre- vs. post- asspect of food and WAGs. I had a fleeting thought about going UL on them, but I’m not sure UL is a good idea for WAGs. I want them to be robust.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Certainly not UL when you add in the weight of the sticks or smooth rocks.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

For two days, I could probably manage without a bag just by diet before the trip and after. It doesn’t seem to be a thing around Pennsylvania anyway. At least I’ve never heard it mentioned.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

WAG bag requirements are working their way east.

“The highest point in Texas is not a toilet”

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article260673727.html

— Rex

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

It’s the future. We might as well embrace it.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Interesting study but thinking more backcountry privies (especially the solar powered/composting types) would be an easier sell than trying to alter the typical outdoor users behavior.  I’m just not seeing Joe/Jane Average using their WAG bag vs dedicated canyoneers /mountaineers.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

^I was thinking same.

As much as I hate the thought of seeing toilets in the backcountry, think that for ultra high-use sites (thinking spots like Viddette Meadow on the JMT/PCT) it could be appropriate. As ugly as the thought is, some of these areas are hit so hard it would likely be the lesser of evils. Seems it’s either that or drastically reduce permit numbers…Which I doubt will happen.

I don’t like any of it but I suppose it’s where we are.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

There have been privies in the Boundary Waters Canoe area since the 60s, maybe before. What’s the big deal?

JVD
    BPL Member

@jdavis

Locale: Front Range

Interesting perspective that has me thinking about using a WAG bag in high use areas (Indian Peaks Wilderness) even if they are not required. I have used them a few times where they were required and while I don’t relish it, it does feel like a small thing I can do.

Maybe I’ll put carrying my WAG bags out in the same category as changing my kids’ diapers. Gross at first, then tolerable, and finally just a fact of life … and certainly for a good cause.

BTW, I get 2 days per bag and wrap them in small/medium size Oven Roasting Bags. And for sure, hang them well.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I take issue with the idea that we need to use WAG bags for the environment. If I have to poop into a plastic bag that will last a millennia and carry out of the woods every time I go backpacking I may just find a new hobby. I understand the localized needs for them in particularly impacted environments, but I wouldn’t consider it particularly environmentally friendly to store every poop in a plastic bag.

JVD
    BPL Member

@jdavis

Locale: Front Range

Ben, I agree. WAG bags for heavily impacted and sensitive areas only.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

For long term storage, you probably want glass jars, like Howard Hughes used for urine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools