Topic

Vision issues make backpacking heavy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Vision issues make backpacking heavy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

There  have been many forum posts on glasses, but most of the linked suggestions are dead links, products no longer available. There might not be any great solution for this problem but on the off chance I can make this situation better I’ll post anyway. So…for short trips up here in Alaska, I don’t need my prescription glasses that I use for nighttime driving; it’s light until late fall, and then I just sleep when it’s dark in September, October. But I’m planning a longer trip in the lower 48 for next summer, and if I need to be up at all during dark hours, I need the glasses. I can function without them for a midnight pee, but not hike or try to light a stove, etc. in the dark. I’m still thinking about leaving them behind though, one less thing to carry. Thoughts on the necessity of functioning in darkness?

Then there’s the issue of sun. Again up here I often get by without sunglasses, unless I know I will be on snow for an extended period, like this past summer’s Chilkoot trail. But I think in the Sierra, sunglasses are non negotiable, which also means I need a case so I don’t break them. Pair number two.

Pair number three. Ugh. On a short trip I don’t bring a book to read, but on a longer trip, I think I will want the occasional distraction of a book to relax with at night. I’ve been visiting used bookstores for cheap, light vintage paperbacks that are disposable. But the older fonts in those books will now require reading glasses. Just in the last month this change has occurred, before that I could still read the prescription bottles! No more. Glasses are lighter than a large print tome, assuming I could even find a title I wanted to read in that format. But more glasses means more cases.

So now I’m up to potentially three pairs of glasses, and three hard shell cases to protect them. This is getting decidedly non lightweight. Plus just carrying more crap annoys me; I like things streamlined and orderly, no clutter. Maybe I just need to give up on doing anything in the dark, or reading along the way.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Not quite the same as your needs but I hike with transistion progressive bifocals. The transition lenses mean I have sunglasses in the day and clear glasses at night. I had the bifocal addition in these lenses placed lower than in my normal daily glasses to give me a clearer view of the trail at my feet. I have to look at maps/books/gps right at the bottom of the lens but it’s a small price to pay.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

If you only need glasses for night driving, then the easiest option is to leave the prescription glasses at home and buy a cheap pair of non-prescription sunglasses. Things may be a little blurry, especially at night, but if your vision is not too bad you can deal with it fine for a backpack trip. And leave the books at home to save more weight and not worry about reading glasses. If you’re in the Sierras in summer, you’ll have lots of daylight and good weather to enjoy time around camp with no need for a book.

On the other hand, if you enjoy sharp vision so you can take in all the beauty of the mountains, then take prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses along with two light weight cases. You can make up for the extra five ounces of weight elsewhere in your kit. Here are two cases that have worked really well for me – one for regular glasses and one for curved sunglasses (2.1 and 2.3 ounces each):

http://a.co/d/fWCxvK0

http://a.co/d/175pbaM

John S
    Spectator

@juany118

Was just going to make the same suggestion Matthew did if you have the money. That can be a little steep though $$$$ especially if you have estigmatism like I do. So I will likely be getting something similar to these…

https://cocoonseyewear.com

They aren’t the ugly boxy things they used to be any more.

Here is a good article on how to select them.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Audiobooks.  An iPod nano weighs just over an ounce and gives 30 hours battery life.  Since it weighs so little I prefer it to using my phone, since I don’t have to worry about using up the phone battery that I might need for other purposes.   Vs paper books – you save weight, can bring many books, you can get comfortable in any position without needing to prop yourself up, no need for reading glasses or a flashlight.   Pretty much every book comes in a decent audio version now.   A great solution for hiking and long drives, I get through ~30 audiobooks a year now in the evenings when hiking & when driving.   Audible.com (owned by Amazon) has everything.

Sunglasses: these rollups weigh nothing and should be in everyone’s emergency kit as a backup for loss or breakage:

As for the more general need for vision correction…  well, laser eye surgery is cheap and safe.   It won’t obviate the need for reading glasses as we age, but it can correct pretty much anything else now.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear in my initial post. For daytime use, I don’t need any correction; I have 20/15 vision. So regular sunglasses are good enough, just have to make sure I don’t break them (which I often do). I’ll check out the roll up ones, might be a good option.

For nighttime, laser surgery doesn’t correct it; I’ve already had the laser surgery and it’s great for daytime vision, but not perfect for night. I guess I’m “packing my fear” that I might need to move during nighttime, and without correction I would be stumbling about. But what are the odds? Probably not needed. Maybe I just leave this pair in the car.

I do have an old iPod nano – I think I can cross off the reading glasses and just listen to books, good idea. Although I do love to read. But maybe that will be the mode for longer hikes. I also need to check maps and watch face, etc. just before I go, in case my reading vision gets worse in the next year. Or I just bug every passerby on the trail “can you read this for me?!”

Thanks for helping me think this through a bit.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I’ve been juggling three pairs of glasses for several decades – prescription distance glasses, prescription sunglasses, and prescription reading glasses – so it’s both second nature to me and the price of playing outdoors. I’ve really needed all three during trips too often to leave them behind. At least I don’t carry spares anymore.

Besides reading maps, you might need reading glasses for first aid and equipment repair.

While hiking, I’m always wearing one pair, usually sunglasses. In the pack are two pairs in lightweight cases – total 4.4 ounces. Crystal Light 2 quart packet containers work well as lightweight cases; this thread discusses those and other options.

— Rex

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I wouldn’t recommend bifocals on trails – I got a pair of bifocal sunglasses a while back thinking I could carry just the one pair. Unfortunately going downhill it was very hard to focus on the trail with the bifocals especially moving fast.

So I’m now back to having two pairs: sunglasses and regular reading glasses.

I do need the reading glasses to look at maps and of course to read.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I have progressive lenses and they work fine. I don’t know if they are better than regular bifocals for hiking or not. Of course, tendon issues mean I don’t move fast, even on the downhill.

I wouldn’t go out without glasses that let me read normal print for the reasons Rex mentions. But I’ve also never taken a spare.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Karen, this pocket lens works really well and is thinner than a credit card. I’ve used it to read small type on maps.

Pedestrian, YMMV but as mentioned above you can ask the optician to move the bifocal addition very low on the lenses aiding downwards vision. I’ve found it to be quite comfortable. You need a taller frame for this to work well.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

+1 on Matthew’s credit-card-magnifier lens suggestion. More and more, reading glasses (really, computer glasses) aren’t enough for really fine work, so I keep one in my first aid kit.

But that might be all you need.

— Rex

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Low Light Myopia, effects me as well. I simply accept it and carry what I need as for some of us it is an unavoidable part of aging. TBH the Tupperware container I keep my spectacles in isn’t a big deal volume or weight wise. My goggles on the other hand are a real PITA

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Insert emoticon for shock!

Karen, I hadn’t really given this much thought, but I am backpacking with exactly the three pairs of glasses (light sunglasses, my prescription glasses, and a pair of cheap readers) that you are describing AND contacts with a small container of cleaning/storage solution!  I much prefer contacts to corrective glasses and love my Maui Jim sunglasses, but would be pretty blind if a contact tore or got lost on a trip.  Honestly, I don’t think it’s the vision stuff that’s adding the weight to my pack; more likely it’s the three fishing rods, but those have to come along, too.  I know you’re wondering how you might eliminate some of those glasses, but I haven’t really found them to be an issue.

I also love to read and used to take a paperback along but have found that the Sunday newspaper with two TWO! crossword puzzles weighs next to nothing and packs smaller than any book.  The NYT crossword alone can take me 2-3 sessions to complete.  That might be an alternative if you like crosswords.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I can’t speak to your low-light issues, but I gave up hard-sided cases years ago.  I carry both reading glasses and sunglasses and put them in soft foam “bag” cases that I hang on the front of my pack straps.  They’re the only things I’ll allow to dangle on my pack.  I could probably break them if I did a face-plant fall, but otherwise, hard cases are really only necessary if I put the glasses in my pack.  Plus, I bought a cheap pair of glasses for backpacking trips from zenni.com, so it’s no biggie if I do break them.

Peter Nash
    BPL Member

@nash-pcomcast-net

Locale: West Michigan

My solution: Prescription eyeglasses with progressive lenses, plus flip-up sunglasses.

Since having Lasik surgery 15 years ago I don’t need any correction for distance vision. But I am an old man, and I darn sure need reading glasses; and I don’t like to have to put glasses on every time I read or need to look at something up close. So I wear eyeglasses all the time, with progressive lenses. They work for driving, hiking, and reading. I leave them on all the time, and during the day I leave the clip-on sunglasses on all the time. The clip-ons are light–only 9 grams–so it’s no bother to leave them on, and I can instantly flip them up in the woods or to read a map.

Clip-on sunglasses are a great and old-fashioned solution, but the clip-ons must be the flip-up/flip-down type for maximum utility. I don’t want to have to remove the clip-ons when not needed. I just fip them up and leave them on.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I wear progressive contacts in normal life. Sometimes when camping, I wear my progressive transitions. I do have daily disposable progressive contacts that I’ve tried, too.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

When I first tried progressive lens (distance correction looking straight ahead, mid-distance correction below that, reading correction at the bottom, varying continuously) it was different enough from the glasses I’d worn for decades that I didn’t like them.  A few years later, I like them.  They’re what I usually wear each day.  If they were auto-darkening, they’d do everything you need in one set.

As for cost, I’ve been very pleased with Zenni Optical (online).  What the local dispensing optician wants $250-$300 for (progressive, coated, auto-darkening), Zenni is about $70.  And for a single prescription lenses in frames, they’re around $19.  So I have computer-distance glasses that live at my computer, a distance pair that’s always in the car, and an extra set in case anything breaks or gets lost.

In addition to the little magnifying card described above, you can use your phone’s camera to zoom in on small print.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I, too, juggle several pairs of glasses – well, three – on trips.  I wear graduated transition lenses or prescription polarized sunglasses.  My vision is too poor to go without.  I carry an extra pair of graduated transition lenses just in case.  I’ve never needed hardshell cases.  The spares are in a small case wrapped with clothing in my pack.  Whatever pair of the other two I’m not wearing is in a glasses case my optometrist gave me either buried in the pack or in an external pocket.  Never lost or broken my glasses on a trip – knock on wood.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

My go to reading glasses, in town and in the backcountry.  Light, compact folding glasses in a hard case.

https://fostergrant.com/store/reading-glasses/gideon-readers-fg

Kim Fera
    BPL Member

@kimchi

Locale: Gatineau Park, Chelsea, Quebec

For books to read, would you consider reading ebooks on your cellphone? (assuming you bring a phone into the backcountry).  All the ereading apps I have allow the text size to be changed — you could make it big enough to read without reading glasses (though you will have more frequent ‘page turns’).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools