Topic

Virga Cliffrose 55L

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Virga Cliffrose 55L

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Geoff

OK, I want to see this.
    Caveat re Aarn: packs in the front of the body are not a clever idea in the Oz scrub. I need to see my feet at all times.

Cheers

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Don’t want to derail the thread, so I’ll just say that the whole idea of having the two pods out front (as against a single front pack like the Zpacks offering) is that you see your feet between them. Works fine for me.

One key element of my prototype is to have a system for quickly rigging the pods as military-style side-pockets on the main body of the pack when you need to get them out of the way – eg for scrambling or travelling.

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

Here are some photos of the latest prototype made of Ultra 400. The accent strip at the bottom of the side pocket has been reduced and the volume of the venom mesh has increased so it can accommodate a 2l platy, 2l hydra, or paddles easily while still maintaining an overall sleekness. Shoulder straps are attached with aluminum g hooks and there are two widths for broader and narrower people. Hip belt has two heights so each pack can be adjusted by about an inch. This should give us torso sizes of 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23″ if we make four pack sizes. Attachment is super burly now. It’s doubled up pieces of 1″ webbing wrapped in EPX. Weight with all straps and cordage in a 21″ height and with a 28″ belt is 36oz. Stripped it’s like 32oz. There are a few things to tweak so I think we can drop some weight. But even if we didn’t drop weight it’s pretty light for how durable it is. Large seam allowance, and X30 sewn into those bottom seams and shoulder strap area so those places are very durable. Anyway, just sharing an update. taking it out in the desert tomorrow!

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Very nice! Whats the bottle access like for something like a 1L Smartwater bottle? Is it a “take off the pack” kind of access? Probably ok either way. The ability to camel up with big bottles in arid environments is definitely a plus. With the shoulder strap daisy chains it would be pretty easy to bring water storage up front for easy access.

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

We’re probably going to offer a bottle holster that attaches to either the hip belt or near the bottom of the side pockets that would accommodate a 1L smartwater. I don’t know the details on that cause Porter is the one making it. I’ll post an update when he finalizes his design. We’ll also offer a shoulder strap pocket that would fit 500ml bottles.

Here’s some better photos just because:

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Refinements look great. A removable holster on the hip belt or lower side (like a McHale) would be wonderful. Sometimes you don’t want a big side pocket down low… but when you do, just strap it on there.

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Oops, I must have had something in one of the pockets or something because the real weight of 21″ torso pack is around 29oz with straps and everything. Phew, I thought that previous weight sounded high…

Thomas W
    BPL Member

@teewatt

Ben, I’ve been really impressed with every picture I’ve seen of you and Porter wearing the pack – y’all are doing something right with the shaping/frame/shoulder straps. The fit has been looking dialed

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

Already sold out? That was fast.

Really nice product. All the best in your new adventure.

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

I’ve had it marked sold out this whole time. If we opened the website for ordering we’d be in way over our heads! Porter and I both work full-time jobs so we can only take on a few individual orders at a time. I’m just emailing everyone on the mailing list and taking orders that way. Hopefully we can do more than that in a few months.

LARRY W
    Spectator

@larry-w

Loving that pack. Choice of accent colors now? I know I subscribed before but just did it again to make sure. No sleep for you in ’23. :}

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Larry, Yes, to keep with our overall theme we’re calling them sandstone, bluebell, and coyote willow. Yeah hopefully we can find a balance, need that sleep. Right on, you’ll hear from me!

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

Thanks Ben.  Is that a single stay in the back panel? Maybe I missed it, could you describe the suspension system?  And will you only offer the pack in the 400 material for now?

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Single vertical stay, at the bottom and top interfacing with a horizontal stay. So it is capital I shaped

The big benefit is it gives the pack a real rigid structure which improves the feel of the suspension in comparison to just two vertical stays.

I’ve found it to be comfortable to 35 lbs. After four days at 35lbs, the stay starts to flex a bit. Although it remained comfortable, it probably wouldn’t do 40lbs for more than short distances.

For this reason, we may offer a two stay version in the future. It will still have a horizontal stay at the bottom but not top, so it will be more U shaped. That will weigh maybe 1.5oz more and carry more weight. If we do that, we will probably also lighten up this I-suspension version of the pack to differentiate.

We’re sticking with Ultra 400 for now yes

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

Congrats on this venture Ben and Porter! As a MYOG backpack obsessionist (IG @sew_dreamy__designs) I’ve drawn inspiration from your design and journey. Best of luck!

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Looks like the frame changed to a, “full box frame suspension with two vertical tubular aluminum stays and two horizontal aluminum stays.”

If anyone has one, I’d love to hear your impression of the pack.

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Alex,

Indeed! This frame’s performance has been really great so far. Here’s a video explaining it.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thanks for the video link, Ben. New frame looks good.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Is there an Instagram link? I searched but nothing came up for it but photos of other packs.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Hey Bill:

Virga Packing IG

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Alex, my experience with the pack after 100 miles is that it totally delivers on the design goals stated here by Ben and on the Virga website. Packs are very personal of course, but for me it’s been a joy to use, or something I just forget about. Great feeling either way. It’s adaptable, comfortable to 30 lbs (I have the early-run single stay version), and burly.

The Cliffrose adapts very well to smaller, lighter loads. This is perhaps my favorite feature and something I wished for on my tall frame Long Haul.

It took some getting used to but I like how the lean-forward design carries. Less overall movement with the lack of load lifters, but still freedom to tilt at the hips due to the belt design. Putting the pack on reminds me of hopping into an older Tacoma, whereas something like the SWD feels more like a more plush SUV. The belt and frame are stiff but ergonomically dialed in.

I’ve yet to carry 30+ pounds for more than a day, but I look forward to testing it at these higher loads. If I find myself using it in that capacity more often I may look at the latest box frame iteration, which I have no doubt can carry what they say it can. I would be curious how the box frame feels with loads in the 20 pound range also. Perhaps even better than the single stay but again, I’m very happy with the pack. Congrats to Ben and Porter for achieving what they set out to do.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate you taking your time to share your experience with the pack. Ironically, I drive an older Tacoma, so I get what you mean.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Michael, thanks for the link. I would never used Virga Packing as a search term!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools