Topic

Vapor barrier 2-person quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Vapor barrier 2-person quilts

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Check post below

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Waking up in a damp sleeping bag is a terrible feeling I am personally familiar with. It has a terrible impact on your entire camping experience, and in some cases might get you cold or sick.

I designed this 2-person quilt with built in vapor barrier to solve the sleeping bag condensation problem in bad weather without feeling clammy. This ultralight, no-fuss sleeping solution keeps me and my partner dry, warm and comfortable in the Himalayas.

Special price for BPL members: 

2-person $179 with international shipping (all countries)

1-person $159 with international shipping (all countries)

***Try risk-free with 60 day return for full refund. Accepting PayPal.***

2-person specification

• Weight 32oz (16oz per person)
    • Temperature rating 25F
    • Width 6ft, Lenght 7.5ft
    • Shell: 1.1oz 20D (Best water/wind resistant fabric)
    • Insulation: 5oz Climashield Apex
    • Inner: 0.93oz Membrane Silpoly 15D (Vapor barrier) or 0.66oz Membrane 10D (non vapor barrier)
    • Draft Stopper: 1.1oz 20D

Custom 7D, 10D, 15D options also available for even lighter weight . Please contact me and I will build what you need.

My quilt design features:

1. Roomy 2-person design with 6ft width
    2. Draft stopper blocks the drafts, yet lets the moisture breathe out.
    3. With enough length to keep your head warm
    4. Anatomical shape cocoons your body
    5. 3D Sewn Footbox for maximum warmth
    6. Some of the lightest shell fabrics in the world.
    7. (Optional) Integrated Vapor Barrier inner, keeps moisture out of the insulation in bad weather.
    8. Custom color combinations

My story – testing both vapor barrier and highly breathable quilts:

In 2012, I made my first vapor barrier quilt and used it on several Himalayan expeditions. I chose a vapor barrier inner because I wanted the quilt to stay free of condensation during snowing conditions. I was so impressed by the quilt’s ability to keep me warm and dry that I decided to offer them for sale here.

(Link to FS thread. Due to several reasons, I discontinued the project.)

In 2017, I made a 2 person quilt using a very breathable mesh inner and uncalendered hyperD top and used it on my 2 year backpacking journey. My reason for choosing a highly breathable  fabrics was that it would help prevent condensation. Later when I did more study on condensation, I found that in high humid conditions, highly breathable fabric will not prevent condensation if the due point is inside the insulation layer. I shared this quilt with my girlfriend and was happy with the weight and space savings on the backpacking trip. My girl friend was not so happy with width, draft issues, no footbox and warmth.Yes, the quilt was very breathable but the trade off is warmth.

Last month, I made a new 2-person quilt based on what I have learned from using both vapor barrier and highly breathable quilt with several improvements. I made the quilt wider, added a 3D footbox, draft stopper, anatomical cut, vapor barrier inner and highly windproof outer. I and my girlfriend tested it for 2 weeks at 8400 ft  and we are both very happy with this version. There is no clammy feeling!

After sharing it among my mountaineering friends, I got 2 orders. Motivated by the feedback I am getting in India, I am putting this project out again. If someone is interested in trying out one (risk-free), you can get in touch with me at [email protected]

Thank you.

Frequently asked questions

1) Can you explain the vapor barrier thing?

Vapor barrier is non breathable inner layer that keeps moisture off your insulation, keeping you dry, warm and comfortable in bad weather. I am using 0.93oz Membrane SilPoly which soft and comfortable.

2) Will these be any lighter than .33 cuben quilts?

The shell is 0.66oz and inner is 0.93oz. So it won’t be lighter then using 0.33 cuben. But it is much more softer and comfortable then cuben. It also drapes better and packs down smaller then cuben.

3) Does vapor barrier refer to the quilt not breathing? What are the advantages of having a vapor barrier quilt?

Vapor barrier fabric doesnt breath but in my test I found the quilt still breathes through the draft stopper fabric and for that reason doesnt have clammy feeling. Without the VB, the quilt will be good 35-40f for most people. VB adds 10-15f warmth at no additional weight. Also you do not need a bivy with a VB quilt since shell has a very good DWR and there is no actual transport of sweat taking place from the body to the outside. I make my quilts 54″ wide (1-person) and 72″ wide (2-person)  with draft stoppers, which is works well to avoid drafts.

4) A waterproof inner sounds awfully clammy to me too. How does this actually feel in the field?

After using the quilt, I and my girlfriend never found any clammy feeling. The moisture breathes out through the draft stopper.

5) I live in Sydney and plan on doing some snow camping and the Larapinta trail in the middle of Australia. It gets down to about -2C or roughly 28F. I want to know your thoughts on your quilt and its suitability, I will layer up if required, polartec 100 pants and a top maybe polartec 300. Whats your thoughts?

This quilt would be keep you warm in those conditions.You can layer inside the quilt.

6) I have only just started looking into the sleeping in a plastic bag then in your sleeping bag to add a few degrees etc, I am really not sure on this concept?? Is this what you mean by the vapor barrier type quilt??

The plastic bag is a vapor barrier. Since the quilt has a built in VB, plastic bag is not required.

7) I am also 54′ around the shoulders and sleep on a UL7 Downmat (2.5inchs) I am 173cm(68inchs) in height and are worried that the quilt in your standard configuration would be wide enough for me??

I can make 1-person upto 58″ width. The thing to note is that unlike a bag which goes around you, the quilt stays only on the top. You may leave the draft stopper fabric on the side hanging down your pad, this is enough to keep the drafts out.

8)  I have read all about the VB, my concern after I thought about it more is how can I layer up if I m cold?

Before I thought that layers inside the vapor barrier quilt would get damp with perspiration but further testing showed that this is not the case. You can layer inside this quilt. The moisture moves out through the breathable draft stopper.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

1) 2-person 20d outer, 7d silnylon inner, 30oz

2) 2-person 10d outer, 15d silpoly inner, 31.8 oz with stuff sack

Sack sized to replace back protection in a paragliding hike-n-fly harness.

3) 1-person 10d outer, 20d silnylon inner

(pictures)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools