Topic

Utah Backpacking with Little Kids?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Utah Backpacking with Little Kids?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

My family is thinking of taking a trip to southern Utah in October to see some of the National Parks and other areas of interest.  We’d like to do a backpack trip for part of the time (between 2 and 4 nights), and then spend some time driving around other areas.  We’ve never been to Utah before.

Any suggestions for backpacking routes in the area appropriate for young kids?  Our kids will be 5.5 and nearly 3.  If we carry the little one, the older one can do 3 to 5 mile days, but if we leave the kid carrier at home, we’re limited to about 2 miles a day.  An area with more open camping regulations and flexibility might work better, as distances between designated campsites aren’t always in tune with really short mileage days.  Prerequisites are scenic hiking and camping, and water availability.  Bonus items for the kids would be waterfalls, wildlife, etc.

Thanks!

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

Pop over to backcountrypost and ask there. You’ll get a much better response than here since most of the members live here in Utah. I could give you plenty of suggestions for Northern Utah but I haven’t had the opportunity to do much down south yet.

I will recommend this; be prepared for extreme temperature and weather swings, especially if you are anywhere about 6000ft. I’ve been backpacking here in the summer and seen temperatures in the high 80’s and 30’s all in the same day which is crazy for someone who grew up near the ocean in CA where temps rarely swing more than 20-30 degrees.

https://backcountrypost.com/

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Here’s a suggestion that might work for your family: Capitol Reef National Park.
    I’d suggest camping in the Fruita campground in the tent area for 1-2 nights and talk with rangers at the nearby Visitor Ctr. about day hikes in the beautiful red rock canyons. Then get their advice on nearby backpacking locations that would be good for your family. I was there several years ago but with only adults for day hikes with Naturalists but I definitely would return for camping or backpacking with my grandchildren.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Check on typical weather for October-might be a little late. ?? There are many beautiful parks in Utah so hope you have a great trip.

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

Eric – Thanks for the tip on backcountrypost.com, I started a thread there.  We are targeting Sept/Oct for more moderate temps, but will be prepared for various conditions.  If forecasted or actual temps turn extreme, we’ll bail and change plans.

Jane – Capital Reef hadn’t drawn my attention yet, thanks for the suggestion.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Day hikes,

Wirepass Canyon – Probably the coolest canyon per foot in Utah and it is relatively short (1/2 mile of slot canyon), narrows down to about 3 feet.  I believe that there is a BLM campsite right near the entrance.

If you can get a permit (or have time to do the lottery), the Wave is close by.  It is ~2.6 miles each way but the view is pretty awesome.

Have fun

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools