Topic

Ursack-color choice, don't know fabric differences

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ursack-color choice, don't know fabric differences

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Being gifted an Ursack XL. I thought they only came in white but black is now a choice also. Black seems practical. Will be used with grandkids so white seems not so good. Any thoughts? Differences in fabrics?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Cleaning up a duplicate thread of sorts… here is your post from the other thread, Jane:

”White Ursack is made of Spectra, Black is made of UHMWP (whatever that is). One better than the other? Prefer black but if material in white is better then that’s the choice. Thoughts or experience?”

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I believe the Allmitey (Black) is more durable at a cost of higher weight than the Ursa Major (White).

Spectra fiber is a type of UHMWP.

The Allmitey has Kevlar fiber too.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

I decided against the AllMitey because the capacity is the same as the Ursa Major. The capacity of the Ursa Major XL is better than either. The AllMitey has the advantage of being “critter proof” but doesn’t have a larger capacity and is heavier.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

From a color standpoint, I like white for three season backpacking. Seems easier to locate. Ultimately the fabric properties should match your needs, regardless of color.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

White keeps contents cooler. Think of the chocolate. The material is fairly dirt resistant.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Thanks for all the opinions. Ah, so many things in life come down to “think of the chocolate”!
    Being forced to stay inside so much due to smoke/haze has me digging into my files of maps and planning some trips for next summer. Some will be realized, some not, but it never hurts to plan how to use a new Ursack and my regular bear canister. Back to my maps!

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

UHMHP is Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene.

Spectra is a brand name (from Warwick Mills) for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene fabric. There “might be” some kind of proprietary processing in weaving the fabric but the basic material of the fabric is the same.

The unbranded UHMHP fabric (that’s colored black) presumably has  the same strength specification as the Spectra branded fabric.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

I think another benefit of white color is that it’s easier to see items inside the bag as apposed to looking into a black hole. I choose white trash compactor bags for my pack liner rather than black for this very reason as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools