Topic

Upgrading a New Down Parka

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Upgrading a New Down Parka

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

BPL’s State of the Market Report on Down Parkas has prompted me to fill a gap in my winter clothing with a new down mountaineering style parka.

So I ordered an LL Bean “Ultralight 850 BigBaffle Down Jacket” (whew!). With its baffled torso and arm construction and good down quality it met most of the criterion laid out on teh BPL report.  And with its $100. off sale price it met my “disposable income” criterion.

BUT… it has no down face “ruff” and needs a better internal zipper baffle.

UPGRADES:

1.Coyote fur ruff-> 2″ wide (skin side) W/DIY sewn on Velcro strips so it is detachable from the hood. “Female” Velcro strip sewn to parka hood. OK so it adds weight. But it’s necessary and because it will flip forward it will make a bit of a “breathing tunnel” in extreme weather.

2. Zipper baffle-> I’ll search for a custom maker to fabricate one for me or make it myself and buy down to fill it. It will be sewn on top of the present baffle.

These two mods should make the parka even better suited for sub zero weather. And maybe the fur ruff will make me look cuter… ;o) (Because it will hide more of my face.)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

BTW, Glacier Wear, the company in Maine where I ordered the coyote fur ruff sold it for $60. + $12. S&H so it’s not a cheap date but genuine fur is always ‘spensive.

And yes, my wife may be surprised when she opens the garage freezer to find a furry “animal” in there during the summer. ;o)

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Eric—back in my Tipi days I wore a wool balaclava with a coyote face—

And for real warmth use rabbit fur—I made this full winter hat using 3 rabbit hides sewn together with the fur facing inside—and the outside hide painted a faint red—

Hard to believe I’ve been a vegetarian for the last 45 years.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

FYI, I don’t believe that jacket has actual box baffle construction and is just sewn-through with wider chamber spacing hence the “big baffle” name. You might call or email them to confirm but I’m fairly certain that’s the case.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I *really* hope I’m wrong, but I’m going to have to agree with Hoosier T.  The LLBean simply doesn’t *look* baffled.  Compare the photos of the LLBean with known sewn-thru and known box baffled parkas with 5-6 oz of fill.  To me the sleeves are the most telling…

LLBean (baffled or sewn-thru?)

Montbell Alpine Light – 4.8 oz of fill, sewn-thru

Montbell Mirage – 5.3 oz of fill, box baffled

One of these things is not like the other.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Since I was curious, I chatted them and they confirmed it’s indeed sewn-through.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They have an excellent return policy

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

They have an excellent return policy

As all good retailers should.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Side note since we all know how much Eric loves the EB Downlight (and so do I). I sold my 2016 one to a buddy and got a new one and it has some really nice improvements. Lighter 20D shell, the back is extended a good bit for coversage, and the bottom is cinched with cord instead of having an elastic waist which always rode up on me. Also, while I might be wrong, it has 5oz of down (size medium hooded) which I’m pretty sure is more than the older models. They also added a chest zip pocket. Still a little heavier than the alpine light at 17.65 oz (on my scale) but nice for winter. Irrelevant to this thread but I still wanted to point it out.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The irony that a jacket called the “Big Baffle Parka” is sewn through.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

nm

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I was always under the impression that sewn-through and box-style are both baffled.  I would have interpreted ‘big baffle’ to mean a large spacing between dividing seams (without defining which type of baffling was used).
    https://thermarestblog.com/baffled-by-baffles-understanding-sleeping-bag-baffles/

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

@bcap, you are correct the chambers formed by sewn-through construction are still commonly called baffles. As such, their marketing isn’t wrong.

My reason for pointing this out is based on the context of Eric’s initial post, I’m led to believe that he interpreted the name to mean that the jacket was truly “baffled” since technically speaking, baffles are actually the material used to form interior walls in box-baffled construction. I felt compelled to point this out (even if I’m wrong in his assumptions) before he goes out expecting this to keep him warm in true mountaineering conditions as he indicates as his reason for purchasing this parka.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Per Merriam-Webster:
    >baffle<

noun
    Definition of baffle (Entry 2 of 2)

: a device (such as a plate, wall, or screen) to deflect, check, or regulate flow or passage (as of a fluid, light, or sound)

In reference to down-filled articles, “baffle” has always been used in its strict sense as per the above, to refer to the pieces of fabric that are sewn to both the shell and lining of the article so as to create separate compartments to contain the down. Unfortunately, some marketers have begun to use the term to refer to the compartments themselves, which is both incorrect and misleading (particularly in the case we have here). And given the popularity of light down jackets these days, and the fact that the vast majority of them are used as fashionable, around-town garments, and that the makers of fashion down jackets (such as hard-core outdoor outfitter Tommy Bahama) have neither knowledge of nor interest in such things as baffled construction – the usage is slipping, and the meaning is being lost. I am surprised to see a company with the outdoor heritage of LL Bean falling into this.  Either their marketing folks are not communicating with their technical staff, or they are intentionally misleading the public. They should know better. The old man – Leon Leonwood Bean himself – would not be pleased I think.

End of rant.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools